• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Driving lots; be sure to...

CuriousGeorge

I've been driving my 6 quite frequently lately, and intend to do so all summer/fall. What are some special tools & spare parts I should perhaps carry? Also, what should I be aware of pertaining to safety? For example, I've read somewhere that the rear wheels can fall off these cars! That's a little scary...Thanks for the big-brotheren'

CuriousGeorge said:
For example, I've read somewhere that the rear wheels can fall off these cars! That's a little scary...Thanks for the big-brotheren'

Rear wheels can fall off any car. I think what you are referring to is the fact that the bolts holding the hub to the trailing are can come out. Have you ever checked yours? Not that big a deal to check. Many articles have been written here and elsewhere about re-doing the six studs in the aluminum trailing arm with the help of Rick Patton's jig and a few hours of your time. Not a big investment and certainly worth the effort for the peace of mind.

AAA card, a map(optional),sometimes it's fun getting lost, cellphone, sunscreen, money for gas.
I used to carry tools, spares, and a constant fear of breaking down. Only for long trips do I pack for insurance against breakdown. For local travel, I pack light. If your car is properly maintained, chances are you should be fine.
Some essentials could be: electrical tape, fuses, multi screwdriver, 1/4", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16" combo wrenches, pliers, adjustable wrench. If the screwdriver is a 6 in 1, you shouldn't need the 1/4" wrench.
In over 20 years of driving these cars, I have been towed home four times. Twice due to reproduction part failure, twice to avoidable occurances. Each time, I had a trunk full of tools that were of no help.

If ya dont drive it, It wont break!!...lol'

I carry a AAA card, cell phone, Phillips and Reg. screw driver, knock off hammer, a few assorted wrenches, pliers, oil, silicone fluid, 1st aid kit & a Prayer everytime I leave the house!

You do NOT need 300 lbs of spares in your trunk. Spare points & condenser, fan belt, anti-freeze, pint of brake fluid, fuel filter, cap & rotor are the most common item carried, along with a spare tire and jack. Naturally, a set of tools to replace said parts would be needed.

If your car is not maintained properly or has been cannibalized, fix it properly BEFORE you start putting on the miles. Then just maintain it.

And it's prudent to carry AAA, have flatbed towing coverage and always have a cell phone, no matter what car you drive.

kodanja said:
If ya dont drive it, It wont break!!...lol'
Sadly, though, the less you drive it, the more likely it is to give trouble when you do drive it. :frown: In the last couple of years, I just haven't been able to use my Herald as often as I might like...and it shows. Just sitting for a couple of weeks is enough to warrant a careful eye and ear for the first few miles until everything gets lubricated up again.

But this seems true of pretty much any car, and it might well be worse with some newer cars. I've had instances where, say, my old Honda Civic sat for 2-3 weeks without being driven. No problem starting it up, but moving it was another story, since the brakes would tend to stick from lack of use!

I'd totally agree on the regular use bit. I'd start by just driving locally and gradually build up your confidence in her. Things that attention will, as they say, present themselves.

Good point Emmett. I carry one and forgot to mention that. I was focused on replacement parts.

I have a fire extinguisher, but I dont think its large enough to put out any substantial fire....

:shocked:
--WOT !

Then get a larger one it can save your day.--Keoke- :yesnod:

My take is that for any 'substantial' fire, you should worry first about getting out any valuables (SO, etc.) then break out the marshmallows. No portable fire extinguisher is a match for 10 gallons of fuel (plus a gallon of oil). And the odds of saving the car at that point are slim, whether the fire is put out early or not.

In nearly 40 years of tinkering with old cars, I've needed an extinguisher exactly once. It turned out to be a total waste of time; I put the fire out with the garden hose instead.

It's hard to remember in the heat of the moment that dry chemical extinguishers must be used only in the upright position, especially when the battery is on fire and already burned through the hood release cable!

And before someone jumps on me, I'm kidding about the marshmallows. Those explosions you see on TV are pure nonsense (unless you just happen to have a trunk full of high explosives), but small ones are quite possible. And I'd much rather lose the car than take a bath in burning fuel or battery acid. Stand well back while it burns.

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">let the sucka' burn!</span></span>

car_fire_2.jpg

carfire.jpg

CuriousGeorge said:
..... For example, I've read somewhere that the rear wheels can fall off these cars! That's a little scary...Thanks for the big-brotheren'

Last year there were a couple of instances where guys had catastrophic rear hub failures and their wheels came off. One guy ended up on the sidewalk with lots of car damage but no injuries while the other ended up in a corn field. Scary stuff for sure and one of the reasons I replaced my axles and hubs with Goodparts new CVJs. Someone already mentioned Patton's TA Repair jig which I used this past winter. I also did Uncle Jack's upgraded front stub axles a few years ago so I hope no wheels will be falling off of my car anytime soon!

If your car has been properly sorted out and driven regularly, you should have no breakdown problems barring the totally unforeseen. I've always maintained that the guys who are afraid to drive their cars any distance for fear of a breakdown are living in a self fulfilling prophecy. I've had one tow truck ride in 12 years and that was because the anti-rattle gasket on the float fell off and totally clogged the fuel outlet in the tank.

As I said above "If your car is not maintained properly or has been cannibalized, fix it properly BEFORE you start putting on the miles. Then just maintain it."

Any car is like a computer, garbage in, garbage out. Bad maintenance or poor previous mechanical repairs, bad results.