• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Doors different between a Bj8 and Bj7?

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Ken Freese and I were discussion door differences at our club Xmas party this weekend. I was told by Martin at Jules enterprises that I had one BJ8 door and one BJ7 door. Martin's said the hardware for the window is different. I don't know if anything else is different. Ken has a friend that also has mismatched doors and we may be able to trade. But I still want to know what the differences between the two models.

Jerry
BN4
BJ8 and a little Bj7 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
There are some differences. The door handles for the BJ7 are the same as the phase 1 BJ8's (ID#up to 26704) and are w/o locks. The main difference is that the phase 2's have locking mechs in the door handle. The window winder assy are somewhat different in the 7's and 8's. I believe the lock plates are identical, but there might be a difference in the lock assy, the part that hits the strike plate. It would certainly be possible to have a window winder assy from a BJ7 in a BJ8 factory installed. The factory typically would use up remaining inventory of the older model.

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
My car is a late BJ8 so I don't think they were using up parts. The PO had two cars he was getting parts from. That is how I ended up with two engines and transmissions. I have the door handles from both cars. I assume you mean that the door handle and lock from a BJ8 will fit on a BJ7 door? If so , I also have both types of window hardware. So no problem.

Jerry

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well actually, NO. I was just saying that if your door handles have locking mechs., it most definitely is a phase 2, later BJ8 from #26705 on. However, if the handle does not have a locking mech, it could be from a BJ7 or early BJ8. The Moss catolog, Outer Body Panels pg 118-119, actually shows different part nos. for door shells for the BJ7, early BJ8 and later BJ8 although they list them all as NA. They do not differentiate door skins for the early and late BJ8s, but again say that part in NA. Confused yet, I am. But the bottom line is if your door handles have locks, I would believe them to be BJ8 doors. If they do not have locks, they could be either BJ7 or early BJ8 doors. As far as the internals go (window winders, etc.), just keep the panel on and don't look.

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Well, that really does not make the final answer because I received the doors with no hardware on them. So I have locking door handles and no locking door handles but none were on the doors. I guess I will see what fits when they return from Jule Enterprises with the new frame.

Jerry

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK Jerry, if your car is a late BJ8 it should use the Push Button handles with the locks Shorn mentioned.---Fwiw--Keoke