• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Chassis/Engine # Question

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Can someone please tell me where I may find the chassis number and engine number on my 1967 GT6?

https://triumphspitfire.com/images/commnumber.jpg

Also, is it normal to not have your commission number and body number match? When I discovered this I was worried that I might be a victim of title washing, but the exterior and interior code are correct.

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
The engine number is right under (next to) the valve cover. You will see a flat spot that sticks out and most likely filled with oil and gunk. Wipe that off and the engine number should be right there. I don't remember what corner it is in. I want to say it is at the back of the engine.

Yes it is common for the numbers not to match.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom- you are correct it is stamped into a flat area next to the valve cover on the left.
The chassis number is affixed with a small numbered plate located on the very front cross member of the chassis in the area just below the front of the engine. I painted mine silver to make it easy to spot. Yours probably has road grime on it and will have to be wiped with a rag.
I hope the attached photo helps you find it.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Edit: My bad! I read "TR" and just realized you have a "GT"... possibly the chassis number might be in the same area.</span>

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
GEEZ, Elliot!! A GT-6 looks NOTHIN' like that LUMP you have! :devilgrin:

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
I have personally inspected Elliot's car, and it's many things, but a LUMP it's not. :laugh:

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
There is a serial number plate on the actual chassis, but it's essentially irrelevant. What you want/need for registration purposes is called "commission number" and is found on the LH side of the "scuttle." Although it depicts a Herald, the pictures here show the location of that plate as well as where the engine number is.

UPDATE: Sorry, I missed the link in the initial post, which I also didn't really read thoroughly. But what I said still applies. And no, commission numbers and body number (and engine numbers) are almost never the same, but they're often somewhat close. In a case such as this, "matching" numbers simply means that the various components still carry the same numbers they had when the car was built, and they can be verified with a BMIHT build certificate.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
71MKIV said:
I have personally inspected Elliot's car, and it's many things, but a LUMP it's not. :laugh:

I'm jus' takin' th' p*** Steve!!!

:jester:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
GEEZ, Elliot!! A GT-6 looks NOTHIN' like that LUMP you have! :devilgrin:
Just because you are a DOC does not mean you can diagnose lumps via the net :nonono:
The only lump I have is my brain for not reading the post correctly.
I hate to admit it doc... but you could be right :cryin:

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had a muscle car friend over some time back and he was looking at the chassis for my TR3 and just fell in love. The number on the frame was Z28.

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Finally got it! After cleaning the area I found a tag but no numbers. After scraping away the original paint, primer, frame coat I found the numbers

FC 92127

Is this like a common spitfire chassis number? Did all GT6es have FC chassis?

Everything seems to be in order
KC 5166 Commission #
5098 KC Body #
KC 5588E Engine #
KC 5302 Transmission #

All I need now is to get my differential #

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
UmmYeahOk said:
FC 92127

Is this like a common spitfire chassis number? Did all GT6es have FC chassis?
Essentially, yes, they did. Early ones such as yours differed from Spitfire chassis primarily in the radiator mounting. Mk2/+ and MkIII GT6 chassis up through 1972 differed a bit more, with added mounts for the Rotoflex rear suspension wishbones and in other minor details. And the last of the 1973 GT6 MkIII chassis were again very similar to Spitfire of that year, again differing mostly in radiator mountings.

G

Hey Umm (mind if I call you by your first name?),

I was shocked when I saw your FC chassis number! You have one of the rare Ferrari Cacciatore models. Only 5 were made. They had a GT6 engine with 6 Webber carbs, and turned out 1,100 horsepower! When they tried to import them to the USA, emission controls and restrictions reduced the horsepower to 84, putting it in competition with the ubiquitous MGTF. So, it was never imported.

Still, you have a RARE FIND!!

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
TR3BGeorge said:
Hey Umm (mind if I call you by your first name?),

I was shocked when I saw your FC chassis number! You have one of the rare Ferrari Cacciatore models. Only 5 were made. They had a GT6 engine with 6 Webber carbs, and turned out 1,100 horsepower! When they tried to import them to the USA, emission controls and restrictions reduced the horsepower to 84, putting it in competition with the ubiquitous MGTF. So, it was never imported.

Still, you have a RARE FIND!!

Cool, my husband had an RX-7 with an FC chassis. I already had someone tell me that people will think its an old ferrari, but then I told him how people already think my mustangs a ferrari. I guess customs forced them to replace the 6 webber carbs with 2 zenith strombergs. Or maybe customs couldnt process the idea of having a carb for each cylinder and actually fit on an engine that size, so they forced them to change fearing that the american owners heads would explode if they ever looked under the "bonnet."