• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bumpers,...looking for opinions

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Hi All,

I'm trying to do the best that I can through this restoration,..spending where it's important, and trying not to spend too much at one time.
I have the original rubber bumpers for my car,..and they look like the originals!
They're OK,..polish up alright,...but I'm afraid that they will look horrid on the car once the new body is done.
Should I just bite the bullet and buy new bumpers,...or is it alright to paint the ones I have?,..structurally they are OK.
Or,..should I get the fiberglass replicas?

Thanks,
Jerry

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Rubber bumpers are easy to repaint . some 004 steel wool, a little alcohol & rattle can paint & they'll look like original for years to come

A

aerog

If you prep the bumpers properly and use the appropriate additives in the paint the painted bumpers will last quite a long time, and like Bob said they look pretty good. I've seen more and more done that way - it's a viable option.

Here's mine again - on Skyline Drive in Virginia, and October's "Hunt Country Classic" British Car Show in Middleburg VA.
PA124540c.jpg

mgb-rear.jpg

shawzam

Freshman Member
aerog:

Glad you blurred out your liscense plate. Unfortunately your beautiful finish has betrayed you. I can see the plate number in the reflection of your rear bumper!

Jim 67B

Jedi Hopeful
For those who don't like rubber bumpers, Aerog's car can change your mind. Looks greattttttt. I saw a local car that was painted black from the chrome strip down and the rest of the car was a light blue. Two tone goes well with the rubber bumper cars also.

A

aerog

[ QUOTE ]
aerog:

Glad you blurred out your liscense plate. Unfortunately your beautiful finish has betrayed you. I can see the plate number in the reflection of your rear bumper!

[/ QUOTE ]

HAH! Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CraigFL

Jedi Trainee
Aerog... Your car looks great with the painted bumpers. I just bought mine two weeks ago and it looks like I have another project now....

A

aerog

Thanks Craig

There's another idea in there too for Jerry - if your chrome/polished trim strips along the sides of the car are dented up, missing, etc, you can replace them with relatively inexpensive vinyl/chrome self-stick bumper strips available in rolls (like mine). I've had more questions and comments about those than the bumpers.

OP
jerryrosa

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Hi Everyone, wow,..just got home from work to find all these posts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tony- Thanks,..my thought , when asking the question, was restoring the black, but that has changed.

Bob,..thanks for the link to Aerog's car,..I didn't think I was going to like the bumpers painted like the car,..but it has really grown on me.

Aerog, Thank You,..your car is BEAUTIFUL, and has inspired me to do the same. I hope mine looks nearly as good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks for the tip on the chrome!

shawzam,..lol!

Jim,..I Totally agree!

WJM

Aerog. I have never liked rubber bumpers but now I have seen yours its great. Think I might look for your model. Regards John.

Dwain

Freshman Member
I like painted bumpers too.......

Attachments

• 89434-passfrq.jpg
    89434-passfrq.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 116
OP
jerryrosa

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Update on my bumpers:

I had looked into the fiberglass replicas that Tom makes,...just beautiful,..I really love the idea of his modified front, which allows for a grill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
But, my new fenders are notched to accept the original bumper turning lights, and additional bodywork is not in the cards right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

I spoke to my body guy, he wants to restore the bumpers I have, then see how they look. Apparently he will "bake" them, to get all of the years of build up off of them, then use a wax to bring back the original satin finish.

I'm not opposed to the original bumpers, as long as they look "new",..so I will go with his recomendation. If I don't like it, I can always have it painted.

I'll let y'all know how they turn out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul Slice

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Jerry,
when I changed my 78 to the fiberglass front bumper I had my body man install a set of earlier turn signals into the location where my fenders were notched as yours are. All he had to do was weld in a small piece of metal and drill 2 holes, he charged me 35.00 to do this while he was fitting the bumper.(which fit perfectly BTW with no modifications or extra bodywork) I have attached a picture so you can see where they fit.

Attachments

• 91231-091304008.jpg
    91231-091304008.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 134

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
I never liked the black rubber bumper cars. But now that I see people painting them the same as the car they look much much better.

From a previous thread, it seems when these first came out, there were not adequate paints to do this otherwise I would assume MG would have eventually had the same color as the car.

Bruce

OP
jerryrosa

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
Paul,..Thank You!

Your car is beautiful!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The bodyshop has already started what we agreed to,..so I'm not going to stop them,...but if I don't like the way they come out, I will very happily go the fiberglass route!

Jerry

OP
jerryrosa

jerryrosa

Jedi Trainee
OK,..Paul's picture, and advice, have led me back to the bodyshop. I'm going with the fiberglass,...ordered them yesterday,.also ordered the grill and mounting hardware.

The body guys want to smack me,..but heck, I'm spending enough money to change my mind once during the process.:smile:

Jerry