• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

British Leyland badges?

Driven76

I see them placed in different spots in a lot of pictures I have seen.

I suspect it's due to repaints, but was curious if someone could advise the correct placement of these badges on the front quarters?

I was also curious if all TR6's came with them and if they were all "adhesive backed", or did the originals have posts on them?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Roger

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Originals were placed at the bottom of each front fender. I can measure to give you the exact location if needed.

I have a set of original light blue replacements and they are adhesive backed. The last NOS set that I saw on ebay went for $220.00.

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I picked up a set of them with assorted other Treasures on an ebay auction. the entire package went for $30. I placed them on my 8 for a little, faded somewhat quickly. Were nice quality. they are sitting on my old 8 I am selling of peice by peice now

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Story I've heard is that the workers rather disliked the BL badges, and the result was that placement was very spotty. Many cars got only one while some got none at all. Several different ex-Triumph employees seem to agree on that point, so it's likely true.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Story I've heard is that the workers rather disliked the BL badges [/QUOTE]

Management probably required the installation close to tea time. It may have interfered with tea and crumpets, thus causing the disdain that you mention above, resulting in erratic or ultimately, no placement of the badges at all.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
OK oK I put mine way too high up on the fender

DSC07823.jpg

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I don't think so. You did what you felt looked good.

If you ever decide to remove them (damage free), dental floss works the best.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
those will never come off their on with crazy glue

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Leakproof seals - will

Interchangeable parts - won't

Crazy glued parts - come off (generally, when you least want them to)

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
how true, mayby i shouldnt crazy glue my transmission in

D

DougF

I had heard the same thing. When worker attached them, they put them in a general area.
I bought them, but after putting all that work into my paint job, I wasn't covering it over with a badge.

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
I think the real issue with the workers lack of quality on the BL badge placement is related to the fact that BL was really a bus manufacturing company and all the car manufacturers that ended up gathered under that umbrella were unimpressed with BL and in particular their management (for good reason)

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
you mean I'm driving TR BUS? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

that might explain the smell... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

OP
D

Driven76

Brosky said:
Originals were placed at the bottom of each front fender. I can measure to give you the exact location if needed.

I have a set of original light blue replacements and they are adhesive backed. The last NOS set that I saw on ebay went for $220.00.

Wow Paul... I didn't realize originals were that expensive.

I do have a set of NOS fuzzy yellow dice if you're interested in a trade. ;-)

I still haven't decided if I'm going to put a set on mine or not. Since it sounds like there wasn't any specific area they were applied, I won't bother you for measurements on the location.

If I do decide to try an find a pair, I'll just apply them to the lower rear section of the panels. It appears the most common place I have seen them is about 4" or so from the bottom, and about the same distance from the door gap.

Thanks everyone, interesting story behind the placement of the badges... I learn something new every time I stop by.

Regards,
Roger

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
When I had my '73 painted in '76. The shop put the badges in the glove box where they remained until I started restoring the car. Glad I kept them.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm again the contrarian: I think I'd just forget the BL ident. By the time they were being put on the cars the Leylend Group was a government amalgam attempting to salvage what was left of English automotive industry. It failed miserably. The cars were originally designed and built by Standard-Triumph or British Motor Corporation, the badge is a hijack attempt, badly run, badly managed IMO.

I've a few of those badges...

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I have about 6pr of old original badges hanging round, lets see now at 220$ a pair......any takers?

Ebay here I come! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/troll.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
That's what they went for. NOS, in the bag. I paid $28 for mine in March and thought that I may have overpaid because one of the bags was torn slightly. LOL!!!

I saw several sets go for over $150 per pair after a bidding frenzy started when the good pics went up.

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
H*lls B*lls, if your a multi marque Brit owner put an MG badge on it,..then you only have to buy one license plate. When the cop pulls you over and says....Triumph????...who makes it? You can say MG. and verse-vicea.