• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brake Servo Replacement

Frank C.

Jedi Hopeful
My servo started to "hiss" when I put on the brakes and the result was no assist and poor braking. Thinking I had an original Girling unit I ordered the Moss repair kit but noticed that when I removed the servo, it was slightly different than the units shown. The main difference seems to be in the vacuum chamber, they show the cover removable with screws but mine is crimped all around and doesn't look like it is easily repairable. That seems to leaves me no option but replacing the entire unit. Ok, Moss shows two options here, (981-173) listed as a Lockheed replacement for $389.95 and (981-174) listed as an aftermarket replacement for $239.95. Both seem to need a $124.95 bracket set to install.
My question: Given the large difference in price, which unit should I go with? Or, is there another option.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I had no end of trouble fitting an aftermarket replacement unit. In the end I sent my original Girling for a professional rebuild. Wish I had done that to start with. It may be worth contacting a professional rebuilding company as they may be able to work on your servo?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I do not know. However, A mire economical fix might be to call Power Btake Exchange 800-232-8366 and have yours rebuilt

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Keoke said:
I do not know. However, A mire economical fix might be to call Power Btake Exchange 800-232-8366 and have yours rebuilt
I had mine rebuilt by them last year and it was about $295.00. Came back clean & painted and looking good.
Service was pretty quick too.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

When my original Girling booster started leaking, I acquired a Lockheed replacement from a friend at turned out to be a very reasonable price. After designing a mounting bracket that took advantage of the original bolt locations, I installed the unit and was disappointed to find a far less boost than the original. The Lockheed was installed for about a year during which I found a replacement for the broken Girling air valve and rebuilt and reinstalled the unit. Over the 20 years since the rebuild, the Girling has performed well; however, the level of boost has never been close to the feel provided in a modern car.

If my Girling fails again, I am seriously considering eliminating a booster completely and changing the master to compensate. When changing the master, I would consider a dual system, for safety reasons, and do everything possible to make the installation look as if original.

Although I agree that a professional rebuild of your Girling unit is most advantageous, I found rebuilding the unit to take a reasonable effort. The only issue I would expect to cause a problem is the cost and shipping of the spray lubricant for the air chamber. Back when I performed the rebuild, the spray lubricant was not considered a hazardous material and an aerosol was only $14.

All the best,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

OP
Frank C.

Frank C.

Jedi Hopeful
Well,thanks for all the advice but in the end I ordered a replacement from Moss. I tried the 800-232-8366 number but only got a recorded commercial that had nothing to do with brakes so I thought I better just get moving and get the part (We're taking a trip with the cars in 2 weeks and couldn't wait for a rebuild anyway).
Anyway, as unusual, thanks to all that responded.