• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Banjo Fitting - Oil Pressure Line

barneys56tr3

Freshman Member
I ordered the two copper washers for the oil pressure line that connects to the block and they are different sizes.The bloke that took my order assumed the larger one goes next to the engine. Can anyone tell me for sure which is which? Do you use any sort of sealant between the washers? I'm guessing not but don't know for sure.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Copper washers are much like fiber washers in that they both are intended to seal around a hole usually under a bolt head or under a nut. The goal is to prevent oil from leaking out. They are available in a variety of sizes for pennies at any Home Depot. I wouldn't think you would need any sealant, but if you want to use some, it won't hurt.

OP
B

barneys56tr3

Freshman Member
Light bulb just came on. One washer fits perfect on the stud while the other has a larger inside diameter and fits loosley over the stud. The loose fitting one must fit next to the engine and allows the oil to go to the gauge. Does that soung good?

swift6

Yoda
Just checked my spares. The washers should be the same size. The hole in the bolt next to the bolt head is where the oil enters the bolt from the oil line. The bolt is then hollow down the threaded section and the there is a hole opposite the bolt head that the oil exits the bolt. If one is too big you could have a really big mess. You might be able to match them up at Home Depot/Lowes hardware section or if you have another hardware store with a specialty section (our 'Ace Hardware' stores have them).

Oops, I was thinking of the TR6 external feed line. I would guess that they should still be the same size for your application though.

OP
B

barneys56tr3

Freshman Member
This is a tr3 and the stud that comes out of the block through the oil filter head assebly through the banjo fitting is a solid stud. No holes. I thought it might be the wrong stud and should be like the banjos on the brakes so I ordered a new one from trf. Not in stock so they ordered one from Britain. Took about three months and its the identical stud that I already have. Go figure.

CaptRoy

Jedi Hopeful
When I put my motor in a couple of months ago I had a oil leak at the banjo fitting. The big washer goes on the block side then the banjo and the small washer. This is all held in place with an acorn type nut. I could not get it to tighen enough before I bottomed out on the acorn nut. I ended up putting two washers on the outside to get a small leak to stop. Works fine.. I really felt the stud was not in far enough but I couldn't get it to thread in any further. A guy at the local club says this happens frequently and what I did was the normal fix...

OP
B

barneys56tr3

Freshman Member
Thanks for the info Capt. This is my second attempt to stop that pesky leak. Just got my rebuilt oil pressure gauge back from Nisonger this morning. $119.00 if anyone is interested. Looks great.