• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Alloy Valve Cover Oil Baffel

richards

Jedi Hopeful
Two much oil going out of my TR6 Alloy Valve Cover vent tube to the carbs.
Has any one ever "made" a baffel and attached it to the inside of one of these Alloy Valve Covers.
I know about the Oil Separator that Good Parts sells, but I am not ready to take off the oil pan on a car that does NOT leak.
I do have the external oil line that feeds additional oil to the rocker assembly.

I am open to other ideas...

Thank you,
Richard
1974 TR6

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Richards, Another Idea is to locate a small oil separator in series with the hose going to the carb. The early Volvo P1800 cars used this technique.---Fwiw--Keoke

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I had a long post about this same exact issue on my 74 TR6. I ended up removing the oil line and installing the original valve cover after chrome plating it. Oil consumption issues went away.

How about installing one of the old style round PCV valves in line, just outside the valve cover?

This is just some of the oil that was in my original intake as it sat on the bench when I installed my triple carbs.

tomshobby

Yoda
I run the aux oil feed line with the original cover. I use a silicone valve cover gasket and Goodparts oil separator with their PCV valve. I also have Goodparts valve guides with their valve guide seals. On the valve cover studs I use the rubber seals for the Spitfire engines. I have had the valve cover off a couple of times to re-torque the head and adjust the valves with no attention given to the gasket except to wipe the mating surface on the head.

The result for me is that I have had no leaks or oil consumption in 2,500 miles.

If an electric fuel pump is used the Goodparts oil separator can drain through the fuel pump blocking plate. Since I use an Italian BCD Torino mechanical pump mine drains into the pan.

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
This is a good question - hasn't someone figured out a baffle of some kind? There must be a zillion of these alloy covers out there in use.....

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
The problem with welding or bolting (never an option!) any type of baffle plate is the limited amount of clearance between the rockers and the cover. With the extra thick alloy cover, the baffle would have to be very thin.

The auxiliary line just adds to the problem as shown in the picture above. The other intake port had mucho oil in it as well.

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Brosky said:
The problem with welding or bolting (never an option!) any type of baffle plate is the limited amount of clearance between the rockers and the cover. With the extra thick alloy cover, the baffle would have to be very thin.

The auxiliary line just adds to the problem as shown in the picture above. The other intake port had mucho oil in it as well.

Good point Paul, yet still, you would have thought either the manufacturer, or one of us would have figured something out.

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
TR6BILL said:
I use the Goodparts oil separator with success.

I looked up the Goodparts separator Bill, not a really attractive item, either cosmetically, or mechanically.

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
tomshobby said:
I agree with you Ned, it is not a raving beauty. But I also agree with Bill, it does work!

Thanks Tom. Ok, well I could probably bury it somewhere, paint it black, and explain to folks its a Lucas frizalator.
But I don't want to chop a hole in the pan, nor do I run an electric fuel pump. Any other ideas on how to drain the sucker.

This seems so preposterous to me, but I agree with all the comments about excess oil consumption, and nowhere is this mentioned by Moss, TRF, or others selling these nice covers.
I love mine, but I sure don't want the oil issue either.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How about plumbing it right back thru the external oil feed.

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
bunzil said:
Brosky said:

Good point Paul, yet still, you would have thought either the manufacturer, or one of us would have figured something out.

I welded a 1/8" x 1 1/2" aluminum plate up against the inside of the cover (vent hole side), I angled it out slightly at the top of the cover about 1/2". It runs the length of the valve cover except I stoped short at each end about 1/2", this allows the gases to pass around the ends and then on the inside of the baffle and out the vent hole. It worked beyond what I had hoped for---no more oil out the tube and I run an Aux. oil line. The rockers (Goodpart rollers) are very close but do not hit. sorry no pictures but if you need more description I can give it.

eejay56

Jedi Warrior
Why do alloy covers have the breather but stock ones do not?

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I made my own oil separator using a Greddy oil catch tank. I didn't have to cut a hole in my oil pan.. but I will have to empty it once a year or so.

Kinda hard to see, but it's mounted above the passenger foot well.

normal_2007-08-26%20-%20TR6%20Engine%20Pics%20006.jpg

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
DNK said:
How about plumbing it right back thru the external oil feed.
Uhm maybe because the external oil feed is at 60psi? those drips of oil from the separator wont exactly join the flow!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Allan,

That is the ideal fix, if you are capable of the aluminum welding. Due to the weld heat requirements, I would think that some may have issues with the finish on the outside of the cover. Did you have any problems with the outer finish?

swift6

Yoda
eejay56 said:
Why do alloy covers have the breather but stock ones do not?

Stock TR6 covers do have breathers, they also have a rudimentary filter/baffle set up inside the valve cover. The alloy covers just have a straight tube with no baffle/filter.

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Brosky said:
Allan,

That is the ideal fix, if you are capable of the aluminum welding. Due to the weld heat requirements, I would think that some may have issues with the finish on the outside of the cover. Did you have any problems with the outer finish?

A friend of mine welded it, mig or tig I cant remember which, and no problems with the finish, you cant tell from the outside.-----After rechecking my cover--the plate that I used was 1 1/2" and I left the ends open 1/2", I angled the baffle out to where it rested against the large round casting supports for the mounting bolt holes.