• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A little Healey History on EBay

Frankenhealey

Jedi Trainee
Hillman Healey Special by Jim Cashmore

It is a special built by Jim Cashmore, the head of experimentation for Austin Healey with help from Geoff Healey. The basis of the car was Jim Cashmore's 1934 Hillman Aero Minx chassis and engine/gearbox with bodywork and brakes from various crashed Austin Healey racing cars, including Sebring, 100M, plus 100/4 and 100/6. The main part of the bodywork seems to be 100/6. I am advised that the Alfin drum brakes are from a 100M. I have shotblasted and powder coated the back plates and rebuilt the front ones with new hydraulic cylinders. The rear brakes will need new hydraulic cylinders, though the manual cylinders are still present and overhauled.

Originally the car ran on Dunlop racing tyres, donated by Geoff Healey and the spare is still one of these, though it is too worn to be re-used. The other 4 tyres are cross ply with very good tread, though it is not known how long they have been on the car, so I would reccommend changing them. The headlamps are 'le mans 24 hour' type, though only one remains. I believe that reproductions are available.

The car was abandoned for decades it is believed, and came to me in very poor condition. Now, though, chassis and body are in very sound condition and free of rust. The bottom of the grille needs welding (see photo). The bonnet is in primer and needs levelling before painting. The boot lid is unrestored and needs a new skin. A replacement secondhand skin comes with the car.

The photos show the engine out of the car but it will be installed before the end of the auction

The inlet/exhaust manifold needs replacement or extensive welding and the exhaust system needs replacing. The side screens need replacement or extensive repair. The seats need re-upholstering, and it is my opinion that the seat bases are too rusty to repair, but I am not an expert on welding, so I could be wrong. The speedo and rev. counter need new chrome bezels and the rev. counter needs a mounting ring. The fuel tank is a replacement as the original was missing when I purchased the car, so it needs the filler pipe hole covering over and a new one making at the inner edge of the top.

The brake pipes need replacing (there are none, except for 2 new flexible pipes) as does the wiring loom. The windscreen (100/6) is brand new but I accidentally cracked one corner with a 2 inch crack, in transit from the UK. The windscreen surround needs re-chroming.

I have painted the car as per the original colour, garnet red, which is darker than the photos show. There is sufficient cellullose paint with the car to re-do a final coat if the finish is not to the buyer's satisfaction, plus the bonnet and boot lid.

I can't figure out how to re-assemble the front splined wheel hubs so I will sell the car with one of my precious axle dollys, so that it may be easily manoevered.

I have a large box file of information about the car plus photos of it with Jim Cashmore in the late 1950's early 1960's and a signed account of a meeting between the previous owners and Jim Cashmore shortly before his death at the grand old age of 92. I also have photos of Jim re-united with the car in dilapidated condition before I bought it.

Because the car was abandoned for many years, I only have the old cardboard log book. I cannot obtain a V5 in my name until the car is MOT'd. apparently.

This car is definitely a project, but I hope the buyer will agree that I have brought it to a viable condition. It is only for sale as I have lost control of my finances and the bank manager is demanding payment of my overdraft. It will be much missed.