• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Poor little MK2 Sprite - Seattle Craigslist 'Sebring bonnet'

RickB

Yoda
I want the bonnet, but not the car...
Might be a good deal for someone but the price is high for this area, this seller does price their cars at the high end so keep that in mind.
Their business is less than half an hour away from me, if anyone is truly interested and can't get to the location easily I could go take a look and get some better pictures (if the car is even at their location).

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/ctd/4108109789.html

(NFI)

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I guess I have the LBC equivalent of animal rescue. Any time I see a pic of a poor, neglected Sprite, I keep thinking I could give it a good home.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I admit I did email asking if he would sell the bonnet alone.
No response.

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
MK2.. the other Sprite. Must be the most under appreciated of all. But, still my favorite. Most non-Sprite people think the Bugeye is odd looking or cute in a weird way. The MK2 just has nice clean lines and all the roadster characteristics as the Bugeye but with a proper boot. IMHO. Nice solid ones are getting scarce. H-production racing ate up quite a few as well.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
If MK2 is "the other Sprite", what does that make the MK3 and 4? The "other other Sprite" and the "other other other Sprite"? (lol). There were nearly 10,000 more Mark IIs produced than IVs.

It is interesting that there were more Bugeyes produced during their 4 year run than any of the individual later Marks. According to Wiki, out of the 129,000 and change Sprites produced between '58 and '71, nearly 49,000 of them were Bugeyes, just under 40%, even though in terms of years, the Bugeye years were less than a third of the entire run, although if you factor in the Midget, the numbers are certainly more comparable.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Huh, sounds more like a statistical nightmare... What's the mean average... actually in terms of truth...what is the standard deviation??

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
He replied to my email about the bonnet:
"[FONT=arial,sans-serif]I am open to a serious offer on this rare bonnett..what do you think?[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,sans-serif]Jim [/FONT]"

Country flag
Wait ... I thought it was a Kellison bonnet. What is this "rare bonnet" he speaks of?

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have never posted anything negative about anyone mentioned on the forum, but I would be reluctant to buy from this guy. Bought a bugeye supposedly with a clear title from him. I know, I was foolish to change money without the title in my hand. I did have him write a note promising to do this. He told me he would get a new title. After asking for over a year, I finally had to go through Department of Licensing to get a title. He was actually angry at me when I had reminded him of his promise. So, besides inflated prices, not someone that I would trust.
Kevin

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Wait ... I thought it was a Kellison bonnet. What is this "rare bonnet" he speaks of?

You're going to enjoy this... (you too Kevin):
Me:
"I think it's a Kellison. I think they were under $500 new. It's not a "sebring".

Here is a picture of a valuable bonnet:

https://i.ebayimg.com/t/Speedwell-front-clip-for-Sprite-MG-Midget-racecar-/09/!BoIrzrg!Wk~$(KGrHqEH-EUEu(Ebd4FyBLmUZ6cGNQ~~_12.JPG

However yours is cool, at the right price."

Him:

"If they are 500 new, a true, 1960s vintage one like mine must be worth more, so I will let it go for $850
Jim
"

He clearly thinks he has a Jag or a Big Healey on his hands, not a Spridget.

Country flag
I think I'd counter offer $250, or $500 if he can produce paper work to verify its "heritage".

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I'm absolutely sure this guy believes his excretion is made of gold and smells of wild flowers.
He will be buried with his stuff, I know of several vehicles he has tried to hawk for many years at prices that are out of this world, he never lowers his price.
Apparently he believes, that's just not something you can counter with logic.

nomad

Yoda
I have never posted anything negative about anyone mentioned on the forum, but I would be reluctant to buy from this guy. Bought a bugeye supposedly with a clear title from him. I know, I was foolish to change money without the title in my hand. I did have him write a note promising to do this. He told me he would get a new title. After asking for over a year, I finally had to go through Department of Licensing to get a title. He was actually angry at me when I had reminded him of his promise. So, besides inflated prices, not someone that I would trust.
Kevin

So you got title on his written promise and a bill of sale????? Didn't know you could do that!

Kurt.

macsprite

Isn't it a NorCal bonnet ? Horrible IMHO.

The Speedwell is a Monza style bonnet with the small mouth.

A Sebring is like this one from Archer's garage in the UK. https://www.sebringsprite.com/pricelist.html

IMG_0013.jpg