• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1948 MG TY ?

joel647

Freshman Member
Hi all , hopefully someone can tell me a bit more about a car I've come envolved with ! Long story short : while I was working on my Series Landy , my new neighbor asked if I would be interested in maybe restoring his old MG - so of course I said yes thinking along the lines of an MGB . I don't know the full history of the car but it came from an uncle and was supposedly put into storage at an auto restoration shop , though he hadn't seen it in some years . When I went to have a look at it ,some _slight_ problems arose : namely with their *storage* as indoors meant *cheap tarp* and also that it was free to pick odds and ends from . Needless to say it was hardly what I was expecting when I first saw it and trying to find information on what I was told to be * a 1946 MGTY * led to finding one car in South Africa ( which I assume was a typo or _that_ particular car is rare as hens teeth ! ). Further investigation was led me to conclude that it is actually a 1948 YT . Now that I know what it is , and have finished up the remaining projects I had , I'm considering having a go at it . Apparently there were less than 900 built in all so it's safe to assume there aren't too many available as parts cars in the US ! If anyone has words of wisdom concerning parts availability / interchange / complete restoration diarys to share and well , pretty much any advice on these things at all I sure would appreciate it ! If someone would care to host a pic of the car as it sets I could email it to them .

Thanks in advance !

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Hi there,

You might try getting in touch with Ken Mason up in Ontario to compare notes (he lives just north of Toronto), he has restored a YT recently and may still have some extra parts laying around, and according to his website still has a basket-case MG YT laying around too.

www.kmrestorations.com

[ 11-28-2003: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>