• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Word of the day

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Here I am with a fifty year old Schwinn ten speed, thinking I've got a good bike.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
a $1000 bicycle???? you guys time traveling and doing your shopping in 1985? $1,000 is bottom of the line. TdF bikes are more like $20,000+
I have been looking for a new bike and just matching my 35 year old (but upgraded) racing bike is easily $5,000.
Back around 1985, I had a bit of extra cash and decided I wanted a good mountain bike.
I was living in San Francisco so there were lots of choices.
Did some HARD Test drives on about 20 high end bikes from $700 to $2000.
My favorite was the Mountain Goat model Trench Goat for under $1000.
I rode every day after work through SF and later rode many trails in California and Nevada.
After I met my wife we regularly drove up to Tahoe and even brought it down to Ba-ha for a week.
When I got too old to ride a few years ago I was able to sell it to a collector for $500.
Never had any regrets-I got my moneys worth.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'm still trying to visualize that.
It is this color and model, Varsity, just much more worn. It also sits on a more modern set of wheels, as the old steel 27" rims had developed some rust around the spokes. The new wheels had a six speed rear hub so it is now a twelve speed.
JohnMurphy-1.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Raleigh SuperCourse-II hanging on hooks in the garage, got it in '79 from a fella going off to college. Rode it to work at the Porsche shop daily in almost all weat PA seasons. Moved here to Florida in '81 and rode it less regularly well into my forties. A worn out crankset and scant availability put it on hooks in 2000... Herself's Schwinn World Voyager hangs in front of it, for just as long. Shameful, actually. :(

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I had a Schwinn Continental until I found that European bikes were better,
& lighter.Bought a Gitane (Grand Sport?),sold it for more than I paid for it,&
bought a Gitane Tour de France that was an incredible riding bike,but sold it
when I couldn't/wouldn't deal with sew-up tires.
I ought a Dawes 10 speed that I rode in my junior year in high school,
sold it to a friend,& then bought a Raleigh Grand Prix in '73 that I still have
today,but haven't ridden since I moved here.
Walter made me realize that I've had it for 50 years,& still have the handbook
& brochure for it.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
IMG_0883.jpeg

My wife’s Panasonic. Yes, they made bikes. It’s 40 years old.