• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Who`s selling "ZDDP"??

toysrrus

Yoda
Who`s selling "ZDDP"??

Hi Folks,

I read somewhere on this Forum, (Not necessarily the Triumph Forum), That someone was selling "ZDDP". Please email me or PM with the cost of all "10"; If you still have them available.

Thanx, Russ
Email: toysrrus@att.net

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Re: Who`s selling "ZDDP"??

I shop around on ebay for the best prices. You can usually get them for around $8 a bottle shipped. Search for ZDDPlus.

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

How timely is this? At the parts store we were just discussing this on Monday, and the good or bad ramifications of zinc in the modern engine. This quote is taken from this link https://www.ttalk.info/Zddp.htm

"At this time, late October 2006, it appears that our old staple, Castrol, has reduced the ZDDP in GTX to about half what it used to be. The safest bet right now seems to be either the use of Redline (synthetic) or Valvoline VR1."

I know the engines we drive are from the old school, and may have the need for extra wear protection, but it seems the build up of zinc deposits, and the breakdown of the oil structure do not make it worth the risk.

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

https://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/car_care/askmobil/ZDDP_Levels_Classic_Cars.aspx
Question:
Mixing Motor Oil to Reach the Right ZDDP Level for Classic Cars
For an older, flat tappet, performance motor with inherent cam wear issues is there any benefit to mixing high ZDDP Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 to Mobil 1 High Mileage 0W-30 oil? The 15W-50 creates TOO MUCH oil pressure. It would be nice if you had a product for 'Classic' cars, high ZDDP, 0W-30 and 0W-40. I have used nothing but Mobil 1 for 15+ years.
-- Bill McCauley, Tallmadge, OH
Answer:
Mobil 1 0W-40 already contains a higher level of ZDDP (1000 ppm) that could benefit your flat tappet engine. We also have a Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40 (1000 ppm); see our table listing the phosphorous levels for all Mobil 1 motor oils.

Russ, you can use Vavoline VR1, they have it at Advanced Auto Part our area, VR1 is true 1200 ppm ZDDP oil, I use on the street and race engines. You can also use ZDDPlus, in any non 1200 ppm motor oil to bring it up to 1200 ppm levels, I have a case of it at the shop, if you need some, no shipping cost.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight

From what I've read, pushrod V8 engines such as the Rover V8 and Chevy 350, require a minimum of 1200ppm. Many of the racing oils such as Royal Purple, Joe Gibbs, etc. fit the bill at around $10 a bottle. Or, you can use a modern oil with a ZDDP additive. I have not researched the needs of any other type of classic engines, so other engines may require something completely different. So far the additive has worked for me and is approved by my engine builder.

SkinnedKnuckles

Jedi Trainee

Yep - almost all the "racing" oils contain high ZDDP.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Brad Penn still makes the old Kendall motor oil that is high ZDDP and I don't think is synthethic.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Check out the topic GL4 gear oil. Hondo had ten for sale.

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

I've been using Collector's Choice from Moss. Pricey, but supposedly has all the right stuff in it. I'll be waiting to hear from others about options.

Paul

JohnB

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag

I use Kendall GT-1 20w-50 with supposedly enough ZDDP for flat tappet engines.
Costs about $5.50 per quart.

D

DougF

Brad Penn "Green" Racing Oil is now called High Performance Oil. Their Premium Penn Grade also contains adequate lubrication for our engines though not as much as the Green.
Our club buys both oils for our annual tune up clinic and we haven't had any problems.
The Roadster Factory has recently begun selling Brad Penn Oils.

MadMarx

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

I'm still convinced that cam failures are caused by wrong tappet geometry.
I do run my flat grinded cams with perfect flat, regrinded tappets and it last and no special oil or stuff is needed and I run 254 lb springs with valve full depressed.

Cheers
Chris

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Oddly enough, I only used Castrol GTX over the years in my original engine. I had a cam failure on three lobes back in 2009. It looks like the 3 years of using that with less ZDDP may have done me in. I only had 54,000 miles at the failure and the oil was changed every 3,000 miles, or three times a year when driven much less than that.

I now use the Rotella Triple T diesel blend with plenty of ZDDP and will switch to Moss Classic when that is used up.

A note on Valvoline VR1 and racing oils in general, you can't walk into your local parts store and buy a motor oil that is not suitable fo your street engine, meaning anyhting you see in the parts store is good for normal street oil change intervals, whether it be VR1, Royal Purple, Red Line, whatever, the oil companies are real big on keeping "race only oil" off the shelf and out of your reach. Meaning all these, so called racing, like VR1 oils have the detergent package in them needed for running oil for 3000-5000 miles, race only oils do not have detergent packages in them and have to be special ordered, and normally if you special order them, you have to sign a release form. Now VR1 is the same basic race only version with a detergent package added, but it also have a low foaming agent, meaning we can use them in the race engines or street engines. Now everyone has a notor oil they are loyal to and Vavoline is that brand for me, because they sponsored the SCCA runoffs for many years and always gave me all the free oil I could use, so I support them by continuing to use thier products. Not many street car owners get to look inside thier rebuilt engines to see how a certain oil is working, unless they have done something horribly wrong, but racers, and race engine builders on the other hand do routine engine refreshes, so we get to look at how things are wearing and get a firsthand expereicne at things like cam and lifter wear. I can tell you firsthand I have been using VR1 for about 25 years, and have never had a lifter or camsahft failure with this oil on any race engines, and thats all the proof I need.

With the discussion about oil and ZDDP, there is something else to think about ad that is camsahft and lifter quailty. We just assume that no vendor would sell us a inferior camshaft or lifters, well think again, it's not just happening, it's happening on a large scale. The factory built your engine originally with very good products, like nitritied cams and lifter, and other items like tri metal bearing, but today we have vendors trying to tell us these new parts, and tell us they are just as good as the original stuff, not even close. Reground camsahfts that have not been nitrited are a really bad idea, and most of the lifters out there for sale, don't even spec out to 50 Rockwell C, when you really need 57-60 Rockwell C to have a long wearing product. You hear folks say well my engine didn't have those fancy parts in them and they are working fine, but as stated here earlier, a fellow's cam and lifter expired at 50K miles, so one must ask themselves, was it the oil or the quilty of the cam and lifters, or both. I only use APT cams and lifter, David ion nitrites his regrinds and his billet are already hard enough and his lifters spec out at Rockwell C 60, I know I tested all lifters myself. These good cams and lifters are not cheap, but alot cheaper than having to do it twice.

So in closing, ZDDP is important stuff for old solid lifter engines, but don't forget the quality of the camshaft and lifters you are using, ZDDP can not save your engine from soft cams and lifters.

hondo402000

Darth Vader

Hap you are right, I had a long and involved discussion with Kai at Wishbone classics who rebuilt my engine and he says the same thing, most want to blame the oil but he says also its the poor quality parts that are mostly to blame, thats why he only has his cams made by 2 companies, which do Formula 1 stuff and his lifters only come from one source.

Hondo

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Nice to hear from another Valvoline fan, Hap. I agree about VR1 being a 'street/strip' motor oil, it says right on the bottle that it meets API standards SN, SM and SL so it has to include the detergents, etc.

But the "Not Street Legal" stuff doesn't, and Valvoline is fairly adamant about not recommending it for street use.

Also agree 100% on the problem being mostly defective parts.