• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rotisserie for E Type Roadster

Bugeye58

Yoda
Has anyone out there either used, or built, a rotisserie for an E Type Roadster?
I'm getting more involved than I thought I would in the restoration of a friends early roadster, and was curious if anyone was familiar with this.
I'm primarily interested in how you have seen/made the connection to the rear of the body. The front is a piece of cake, as it looks as though a simle connection to the frame where the "front porch" bolts would work. However, the rear presents a problem.
I was thinking of an offset mount, using the rear suspension cage mounts, and then rearward, and up again, to try to maintain a center of rotation somewhat near the center of the body.
Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff

I've seen pictures of tubs supported from the front subframe mounts and the rear cage mounts where the tubing then follows the curve of the trunk floor to the rear. It then rotates with a centerline running from about the top of the rear plate to just over the top of the transmission tunnel. I'd think you might also want to add a hookup to the lower subframe mounts that run next to the transmission tunnel in case you nee to cut on the inner and outer rockers. That way you continue to have support. Might also want to build a couple of triangles to bolt in the door openings to keep everything the proper size if you remove the rockers.

If I were you, I would disassemble the front end space frame work and restore it by the piece. Disassemble the components such as seats, windshield, boot, doors and gas tank from the body tub and mount the tub on an easily movable platform. Accomplish the required work by positioning the tub for the job. It is light and easily moveable. Save yourself the expense of constructing the spit that will be a one time requirement. If you have any questions, ask me.

Mike, and Jack, thanks for the input.
Jack, we had considered just mounting the tub on a platform, and positioning it accordingly, but then thought that a spit would make life easier. We're already building a dolly for it, to roll the thing around after disassembly.
With the paint still on it, it's hard to tell just exactly what sheet metal will have to be repaired/replaced. I know the right rear lower bowl has to go, and found one small hole at the inner panel of the rt rear cockpit, so there are no illusions as to the integrity of the rest of it.
Draining the 25 year old fuel and dropping the tank was a smelly proposition!
The owner has a very up-scale facility, with such things as a March 817 center seat Can Am car, a Porsche 962, and the Noble that I mentioned in another thread. There's a Lola F5000 in there, too.
The expense of making of the Spit is no big deal. We figure about $250.00 worth of material, and a few hours of work. One nice thing is doing it in a fully equipped shop, with access to all the tools required.
Thanks again, guys.
Jeff

I am convinced that a rotisserie would make the restoration much easier. You might check out this web site add click on "Making a jig". https://www.braatens.net/ On my next restoration this will be my first step. Rick

Thanks, Rick. That looks pretty close to my preliminary sketches. After the holidays, I'll take some good measurements and start cutting and fitting.
Jeff

You might want to find two good engine stands for the front and back of your jig, might save alot of time, as money is not part of the equation. Wayne

Wayne, that was something else that had crossed my mind. I've used them in the past for a rotisserie, and they worked well. They really don't have to be anything fancy, as they are more than likely going to be cut to fit, to match the different lengths required to maintain the corrct rotational axis.
On the other hand, it would be no big deal to fabricate from scratch, either.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Jeff