• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Price of Complete TR4 Engine?

Tabcon

Jedi Warrior
I removed the entire engine and ancillaries from the TR4 the other day and detailed it. I have it sitting in my garage and it looks great. I've considered keeping it, but due to the cost of building my other engine, I'm thinking of selling it on Ebay.

The engine was professionally rebuilt to stock with the exception of 87mm pistons and liners. All the internals are new. It includes the Strombergs and linkage, all professionally rebuilt, original Lucas distributor with
Pertronix ignition, coil, flywheel, clutch, newly chromed valve cover, totally rebuilt cylinder head, new hi torque starter, etc. The only part not included would be the intake manifold. I'll include that also if I could locate another in good shape. Basically, this engine is ready to drop in and start up.

Since it's completion, it's logged about 3,000 easy miles.

I have no idea what it's worth or if I should have a reserve on it. I do know that you can purchase completely rebuilt stock engines (a core is required) for around $3,800 to $4,000, but they do not include the carb's, clutch, etc.

Would it be reasonable to expect $3,500.00 for it?

The new engine I'm building looks like it should come in at around $10K.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
It's dangerous for me to respond because others here know one heck of a lot more, but I've seen relatively complete engines on Ebay for very low prices, like around $1000, maybe less, and Rimmer Bros and others sell them, as well, admittedly for more. But some very rough TRs, the whole car, comes with an engine for under $2500. Finally, assuming a fair head and block, and doing some work yourself, you could have a rebuilt engine you could really trust for under $3500, maybe as low as $2000 (milled head and new valves $400, new Cam $400, pistons, rings and liners, $800, bearings, timing chain, distributor, some work on the crank). Even a clutch is cheap these days. Just numbers tossed out.

OP
Tabcon

Tabcon

Jedi Warrior
You're right. You could do all that, but then again you could just buy one ready to go. Not everyone that owns old cars knows how to work on them, at least that's what I'm hoping for...lol.

Prices on classic car parts are completely controlled by whomever needs that part, or parts on that particular day. Actual value seems to have little to do with Ebay auctions.

I saw an imitation Moto-Lita steering wheel that had been customized by adding what looked like a Triumph cloisonne key fob medallion to the horn button for well over 500 bucks. The actual value was maybe $200 in parts, but someone REALLY wanted it and really paid for it. I bought a pristine TR4A front grill on Ebay recently for only $79. On a different day, I'm sure it could have sold for more.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Kind of along the lines that you mentioned, Tab, there are usually different values of things like that. What the seller thinks it's worth and what the buyer is willing to pay can vary from day to day and a lot depends upon what else is on the market.
That being said, from a prospective buyer's point of view, buying an engine from an individual vs buying one directly from the rebuilder who may actually warranty his work for a time, really does affect what one is willing to pay.
Putting youself in that position, what would be your preference ?
Me, I might gamble on the "used" if the price was right.
Being able to drive the car or at least run the engine before it was pulled would sure increase my comfort level, though.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I think the others have hit it on the head - on ebay, you are just going to be a private seller. In my case, any rebuild I do will be done by myself or through the experts my local club - and it is a tough price to beat give I can find a wet liner block to start for maybe a hundred or so and probably have less than $1000 in new parts when it is all done. In the range of $3000+, my personal direction would be calling someone like Ted at TSI before I'd snag something on ebay. Just my opinion.

Randy

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Tabcon said:
...but someone REALLY wanted it and really paid for it...

Actually, to get an high price on eBay you usually need 2 someones to really want it. With a high-ticket item like a complete engine the market is going to be small at any given moment, apart from the limitations noted above that a private seller faces.

roofman

Jedi Knight
Put a reserve on it for your absolute bottom line, and start your auction at 99 cents. If it doesn't sell your only out a few bucks.