• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Personal choice over originality

mikecyc72usa

Jedi Trainee
Ok, it's decision time. I have a 1971 MGB in that whitish color they offered for apparently only 1971. You can see it in the album linked below. The paint is nearly perfect. The interior, however, needs new panels and carpet. I'm not a fan of the Atumn Leaf carpet and panels. I'm keeping the seats, since they cleaned up incredibly well. Black with white piping. Now for the dilemma. Redo the interior as it was, or go for a totally non stock color option on this model year of red carpet and panels with white piping?

I know both sides of the argument. Just for some reason I'm torn pretty evenly on this. I will be doing a few other mods to the car, like an uprated Lucas alternator, some driving lights, and stiffer valves in the shocks. It also already has a freeflow exhaust on it and looks to have had the head skimmed a little.

Let the debate begin.

It's your car; bottom line.

For me, the combination of white and red is perfect for just about any vintage British car. The GT I'm working on is Glacier White, and I'm going with dark red seats and panels with black piping, and black carpets.

My vote is for red and white interior.

I'm a little unclear on this. There's nothing original about your interior except perhaps the autumn leaf panels. The seats look to be from a much earlier car (the '71 has a completely different style of seat with headrests) and the carpet is most definitely not stock, so "as it was" is definitely not a stock look. Personally I'd go with black side panels and black carpets since the Autumn Leaf doesn't really go with the white paint very well.

Here's the look I'm going for:

Attachments

• 23638.jpg
    23638.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 333
'Nother view:

Attachments

• 23639.jpg
    23639.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 326
I appreciate originality but I don't stick to it 100%, especially on such a common and plentiful car as an MGB. What I do is strive to retain period correctness, keeping changes tasteful and true to the period. If you don't like the color of the interior then by all means change it! You're the one who has to stare at it every day while you drive. If the next owner wants original then he can buy an interior kit, too!

I like the red interior. So red carpet, red panels with white piping, and the seats that are in it will be the new look. I know the "it's my car" argument, and that's how I work on my Triumph. Period correct is what I strive for, also. Well, guess I need to start saving my change for the interior bits. Anyone have a reccomendation for where to get some nice red carpet kit? Thanks.

As to the seats, the original owner of the car supposedly specified earlier seats and the dealer swapped them out with ones they had. There is a hand written note to that effect on the owner's manual and a receipt in it. Either way, I'm going to freshen it up, get it rolling, and use it for my long drives to see my family in SC and NY from TX. Can't wait.

I modified mine similarly to what you desire (Midget though) Another option is carpet only, probably more economical and I found the carpet alone brightened up the interior enough.

Attachments

• 23640.jpg
    23640.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 298
I say go with an original, correct color. :yesnod:

I think it's a good thing to attempt to keep these cars essentially original. Not only may it help the valuation when you resell the car (or pass it on to your heirs), but there's something to be said for keeping <span style="text-decoration: underline">any</span> antique object in its original state.

Your LBC is original only once . . . so it's prudent to select your mods very carefully. And, good taste, as they say, is its own reward.

In the end we inevitably must sell or pass our LBC on. So, in a sense we are just the caretakers, preserving the car for the next owner. Sure, it's your car and you can do with it whatever you please, but remember: someday, it will leave you for another owner. :yesnod:

Choose your modifications carefully, <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">preserve the marque</span> </span>for the next generation of enthusiasts! :thumbsup:

Mark, Better not see my garage. Might turn your stomach.
:laugh:

vagt6 said:
Your LBC is original only once . . .

...and his isn't original anymore, it has already been modified, so changing it to a color he likes that is period correct would still have the best opprotunity to "preserve the marque". Even if he went with the same colors as installed by the factory it still wouldn't be "original" and would not really affect the value over more aesthetically pleasing choices that are still period correct.

I love the exterior color, and I think the red carpeting and panels will really look good. Similar to the MGA on Bring a Trailer the other day. I like my cars to look like they've been used but cared for, and as long as I'm using things that were available at the time the car was built, I feel the character is preserved.

My dad hit a deer in 1961 in his 1959 TR3a. It was originally red with white side curtains and a white top, black interior with white piping. When it was repaired, the only color that the body shop had that was close to any Triumph colors was a Cadillac green with a little metallic flake. So the front cowl was replaced, the fenders were, too, and the paint was not a Triumph color, but the car was 2 years old and all this was done in period. Let's say the car then survives unmolested and in prisitne shape until now, and goes to a show in a concours. How should it be judged?

It's a tough question to answer. Also, I use my Brit cars more than most people. As in yesterday I hit 10,000 miles in my Spitfire since mid March. As long as it's period correct, I usually go for it. Sooo, red carpets and panels with white piping it is.

I look at it this way: if the car is extremely rare (say an original condition pre-war MG) then you probably need to keep it as close to original as possible. Didn't make many, so they deserve to be kept as built. If it's a more ordinary car (say like my Bugeye), then I'm much more willing to fiddle. Even though I like original cars, mine still has an upgraded engine, disc brakes, and will have a 5-speed at some point.

They made a lot of MGBs Do what you like, it's your car. Especially on an issue like color or interior trim -- that's easy to change in the future if you or the next owner wants to.

It's your car. 'Nuff said.

Just remember one one thing and I'm saying this as one of the purists in the crowd! Unless you want a concourse show 100 point car, redo it as you wish! All cars that are shown with the general public being the judges, vote on eye appeal, not correctness. Chrome engine accessories, appealing upholstery colors, and other things will get more votes in one of those shows than a concourse car that is period correct. So in my opinion, for what ever it's worth, is do the car to please you and believe me, it will please others as well. Been there, done that! JMHO. PJ

PAUL161 said:
Unless you want a concourse show 100 point car, redo it as you wish!

Yup. Tasteful over not-quite-original-anyway works for me.

I've had people get in my face (seriously) and give me holy cr@p because I have painted bumpers. How anyone can take something so stupid as a <span style="font-style: italic">personal insult</span> when it isn't even their car is beyond me. I'm not participating in concourse shows and I don't pretend to. I usually just nod and ignore those people.

Oh yeah - the last time someone really got nasty about it I finally said "yup, you're right - they're not original. Where's your car?" Of course the poor offended guy didn't even have a car so...whatever!

Besides, I can always offer them my 1973 MGB that needs to be restored so they can put their money where their mouth is. It is for sale cheap, lol! But I am going with the seats in the car, red carpet, and red panels with white piping. I may have a local shop make the carpet with white piping. Just in the mood to have something that is unique some, and pops. Time to finish the Spitfire then devote all time and resources to the MG. I can't save all the cars out there, but I'm going to try.