• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Parts I'll need for clutch job?

100DashSix

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My MG's clutch failed as I was driving, way back before the winter, and it's been sitting in my garage ever since. I've already ruled out the clutch hydraulic system, so an engine/transmission pull & clutch repair is in my immediate future.

Now that spring is finally here, I'm going to tackle this job. I've already stripped most of the ancillaries from the engine, as per the Haynes manual.

My question is, what parts am I likely to need to do a clutch job on a 74 MGB?

I already intend to buy the Moss clutch kit, fork bush, boot, and any miscellaneous linkages. Maybe an inlet/exhaust gasket, as well.

Are there any parts I should replace, once I have the whole shebang out of the engine bay? Upgrade the heater box and fan, maybe?

With the engine out doing the rear main seal might be a good idea. For the clutch for a new bushing, clevis pin and push rod are a good items to check and replace.

If you going to pull both the engine and trans it's a good time to change out the front and rear seal. If your going to do the heater box now is the time as its easiest when you can stand where the engine was. Also it's a good time to replace all the rubber motor/trans mounts along with a new grounding strap. Just beware that pulling the engine bay apart tends to start many a restoration.

Good tips with the pins and seals, thanks. I'm a bit hesitant to try the heater box, given the trouble they had with it in the show "An MG Is Born," but it could really use the upgrade, so I might go for that.

Ah, also, Moss sells two clutch alignment tools. One for "3 main engines" and one for "5 main engines." Anyone know the difference?

One of the best things you can get for this job are open end wrenches with built in ratchets that swivel. You'll need regular length and the short/stubby ones. There are certain bolts/nuts that will only be manageable with these! :smile: I was certainly happy to "find" them when I did this job last summer. 7/16, 1/2 and 9/16 are your friends!

That don't mean the "American" definition of "Main"?

100DashSix said:
Ah, also, Moss sells two clutch alignment tools. One for "3 main engines" and one for "5 main engines." Anyone know the difference?
This refers to the number of main bearings in the engine. The early MGB engines (62-64 I think) had 3 main bearings, all later MGB 4-cylinder engines had 5. Your 74 1/5 MGB would be 5 main bearings.

Don't get caught up in the "might as wells".....change out the clutch and get back ln the road...it's driving season!

Hello,

I would order the parts you need through British Sports Car Restorations. They give a 16% discount off Moss' regular prices and 6% off their sale prices.

You can see the BSCR web site at www.bscr.com. I have ordered from BSCR several times and have always received excellent service.

Bob

Very much so, Don... :smile:

Hello,

I would recommend ordering the parts through British Sports Restorations. BSCR is a Moss distributor and they give 16% off Moss' regular prices and 6% off their sale prices. I have ordered parts through them several times and have always received excellent service.

You can see their web site at www.bscr.com.

Bob

RPL said:
Hello,

I would recommend ordering the parts through British Sports Restorations. BSCR is a Moss distributor and they give 16% off Moss' regular prices and 6% off their sale prices. I have ordered parts through them several times and have always received excellent service.

You can see their web site at www.bscr.com.

Bob

Got it th' first time, Bob.