• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Oh great - now I have a 4x4 TR6

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
So remember last week the TR6 was sitting too low on the Moss upgraded front springs? Well I took those out and installed a set of TRF upgrade front springs.

The good news - both sides are level now where as previously the drivers side was about 1/2 inch lower.

The bad news - both sides are level at a nose bleed level. I have <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">huge</span></span> amount of gap/space now between the front fender lip and the tire - it looks totally stupid.

CRAP CRAP CRAP.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry - still very annoyed. Why the heck do vendors sell stuff that they have to know are unacceptable. I can't imagine that anyone would be happy with what these springs did to my ride height - so why sell the bloody things?!??!

I can't imagine how PO'd I be if I actually paid someone for the labor involved here.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Same deal here. I bought upgraded springs for the front of my 63 TR4. It sat high in the front and looked really stupid. At least I have the option of getting shorter spacers or trimming them down. As it is they have sat under my workbench for the last decade+. Beats me why they sell them. You would think every product line offered would be installed and checked before being sold to the public. Seems to me you shouldn't have to heat them with a torch and collapse them to the correct length like a 50's rodder. We have heard this complaint before on the Forum including rear springs for 4A-6.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom as you know I had the same problem with my car. I used new stock springs from Moss and got spacers from Good Parts. It has made things a lot better, and I'm satisfied.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks guys - sorry to have vented last night but this has been really frustrating and it is still beyond me why a vendor knowing sell a bad product.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Folks -

Basil has a policy here that we refrain from bashing vendors. I know it's frustrating when we buy products that don't meet expectations, but we really need to address this directly with the vendors and not here.

Thanks!

TR4A_IRS

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
tdskip said:
Thanks guys - sorry to have vented last night but this has been really frustrating and it is still beyond me why a vendor knowing sell a bad product.

This isn't a recent problem, however. I went through nearly the exact same issue about 10 years ago and ended up with some "stock" springs from one of the big three. I think part of the problem is in the engineering/manufacturing. It seems as if the the folks ordering/making these parts just specify a relaxed spring length/diameter and a spring rate. The problem is, if you increase spring rate, you need a shorter spring for the same vehicle weight, or you get a 4x4.

newmexTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Again, with all due respect to Basil, I find this policy very awkward. If someone is selling faulty or incorrect replacement parts, we should be able to discuss it here. In this case it may have saved tdskip some money and time.

I will continue to report the bad and good to the forum on parts or experiences I have with the vendors that serve us. In the same way that I will happily share good vendor experiences to better inform my colleagues here, I would feel guilty (if not morally obligated) if I did not share a bad experience that could save people here a headache, dollars, or possibly bodily injury. That being said, there is a difference between bashing and stating the facts.

Fact: TRF's TR6 upgrade springs do not fit correctly on at least one member's car.

That doesn't mean I'm bashing TRF. I am a member of their investor program and they are my #1 vendor when I buy parts.

- my monday morning 2 cents.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
tdskip said:
Sorry Mickey - just wanted people to know and was pretty hot about it last night.

I understand completely. I bought a set of rear springs for the '73 MGB, and turns out they are the later ones. Looks like someone kicked it in the rear! Hopefully, with some time they'll start sagging...

...just like me! :wink:

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think Tom could have vented his frustration and still able to post it here. The way to go about it is do it in the form of a shout out question to other buyers of this product.
He could have questioned if these parts where a mistake in manufacturing is a this a normal situation.
I recall that this same issue has popped up before and been questioned by the buyer.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
newmexTR3 said:
Again, with all due respect to Basil, I find this policy very awkward. If someone is selling faulty or incorrect replacement parts, we should be able to discuss it here. In this case it may have saved tdskip some money and time.

I will continue to report the bad and good to the forum on parts or experiences I have with the vendors that serve us. In the same way that I will happily share good vendor experiences to better inform my colleagues here, I would feel guilty (if not morally obligated) if I did not share a bad experience that could save people here a headache, dollars, or possibly bodily injury. That being said, there is a difference between bashing and stating the facts.

Fact: TRF's TR6 upgrade springs do not fit correctly on at least one member's car.

That doesn't mean I'm bashing TRF. I am a member of their investor program and they are my #1 vendor when I buy parts.

- my monday morning 2 cents.

Good point. However, this is Basil's forum, and he is ultimately responsible for anything that goes on here, and he's the one who has to take whatever heat gets generated as a result of posts on his forum. I'm no attorney, but my sense is that the possibility for legal problems with libel issues is very real, and has yet to be tested.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
At the same time Mick, don't you think there is a way to get the point across and still be civil and work off your frustration?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DNK said:
At the same time Mick, don't you think there is a way to get the point across and still be civil and work off your frustration?

No names?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just curious Skip, which part number did you order?

I may be prejudiced, but I do not believe that TRF knowingly sells bad parts. Occasionally there is a mixup; and sometimes they do get screwed by their suppliers ... it happens. But now you are going to call them up and insist that they take back the springs and they will be worse off than if you hadn't bought them in the first place.

And you can bet that, when Charles rebuilt his TR5 last time, the parts he used were NOT obviously wrong.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Mickey Richaud said:
Basil has a policy here that we refrain from bashing vendors.
Perhaps a clarification, Mickey? To me, saying "I bought this part from xxx and it did not meet my expectations because of yyy" is not "vendor bashing". Something like "ZZZ sells junk" is.

Do you disagree? Do we just have to never say we were unhappy?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Guys - I'm just trying to honor Basil's policies. Not trying to be cute here, but if you disagree, perhaps you should take it up with him...

And the point made in the thread is that it was inferred that one of the vendors was "knowingly" selling inferior products.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Randall, which is just my point. I think Mickey tried to answer but I just didn't follow.