• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Book: Factory Original Austin-Healey 100-6 & 3000

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
https://www.motorbooks.com/books/Factory-Original-Austin-Healey-100-6--and--3000/9781906133573/21113

I received my copy earlier this week. I have skimmed through the book several times and am interested in the opinions of others who may have done the same.

After my cursory review, I am beginning to think that I am/will be disappointed with the book (maybe my expectations were too high??). There are some great photos but the content that I have studied so far appears to regurgitated from other sources. Further, I have identified an error that I can't seem to let go.

Any other thoughts on this matter?

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
"Less Spartan" LOL.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Tech396

Country flag
I just read this over.
I am curious as to what this error may be. I am very critical in what I read, so my curiosity has the better of me.
There are many books written on the originality of certain years and variations, but there is always room for error.There are only so many examples of original cars to form a basis on.
I have found a few items on my trunk/boot material of my 100/6 that are contrary to what is written in books, but I have proof that my car (being different) was the way it left the factory.
There were no "certain" rules at the time of manufacture.
I am a stickler for originality, but one has to be cautious. The Concours guidelines are written with great study and care, but are not ALWAYS right.
It takes years of consitent examples to write a book, and it will take even more to make one book correct.

https://www.motorbooks.com/books/Factory-Original-Austin-Healey-100-6--and--3000/9781906133573/21113

I received my copy earlier this week. I have skimmed through the book several times and am interested in the opinions of others who may have done the same.

After my cursory review, I am beginning to think that I am/will be disappointed with the book (maybe my expectations were too high??). There are some great photos but the content that I have studied so far appears to regurgitated from other sources. Further, I have identified an error that I can't seem to let go.

Any other thoughts on this matter?

OP
AN6-TX

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The error deals with cars that were painted Metallic Golden Beige. There were 553 cars that were painted this color at the factory, 551 of which were built in 1967. The other 2 were one off cars that left the line in mid-1965 and late-1966. The book claims that "Metallic Golden Beige was introduced in June 1967". However, the color was in fact applied to vehicles beginning in January 1967 and became "common" (in an extremely relative sense) a few months later.

I acknowledge this may seem petty to some - but this information is readily accessible and I find it surprising that a book of this subject/content got it wrong...

fishyboy

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi all
Got this one for Xmas. I would say its better than the now 20+ year old "Original Austin Healey " by Clausager. Lots of pictures and good detail. Recommended.
Phil

Country flag
Ordered one last night (online) from Walmart's, of all places; about $42.

I ran the order up to $51 by adding a hot-glue gun__never had one of my own__to qualify for free shipping (orders >$50.00).

Something I learned quite a number of years ago, is that when a Healey book is published, you need to order one right away, as they really don't print that many of them. Nowadays, with Amazon, I've had some pretty good luck, but there's still a few I want for my collection(s). World Book Day just passed, and another great opportunity to buy some books at a 45% discount! I used to so look forward to when Classic Motorbooks would have their annual clearance, as for $100.00 (my budget at the time) I might wind up with 15 - 20 HC Books, worth many times what I spent (some discounted up to 90%!).

Aahhh, the good old days; today's electronics (as wonderful as they can be) will never be able to turn me away from a good hardcover book :cheers:

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
You're gonna love the glue gun.