• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Meeting: NW Org of Spridget handymen-in-transit

PSJ

(No acronyms accepted!)

It’s confirmed! Northwest Organization of Spridget Handymen-in-Transit meeting on Saturday, October 1st; 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM; in the Broadview neighborhood of Seattle WA.

So far, we have Bill M, Bill L, Rick B, Chris K, Rich B, and myself. Chris is interested in doing some carb work; I have a medium-size laundry list of minor tasks (rear slave cylinder, oil change, install oil cooler, adjust valves, etc). Here's the subject I'm providing: https://tinyurl.com/3rg4x27

Who else is coming, and what else is there to do, is yet to be determined! Please post me a note if you’d like to come, and describe the project you’d like to work on! The usual tools, workspace, coffee and beer will be available; and we'll manage to cobble together some type of group lunch that will leave you over-fed.

Please join us if you can; and for those that can't we'd be glad to raise a toast in your honor!

Thanks!

Phil

philip[dot]s[dot]jones[at]@comcast[dot].net

RickB

Yoda
Yes, that cat is in need of an oil change and could probably use a valve adjustment and I don't even want to know about it's rear cylinder...

:jester:

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The ONE thing I'd like to get done is to shoot oil into my steering rack.. someone, please bring an oil squirter that will do the job.

taskadog

Jedi Trainee
Hey, when your done putting oil in your steering, how about you guys "transit" on down here and oil mine next. ;o}
Have fun
Phil

nomad

Yoda
Guys, its easy to put the correct 90wt in with a grease gun!! If they are in need it makes a world of difference as well ( compared to dry that is)

Kurt.

Spriteman65

I would like to be there. I can help with work on other cars or have a laundry list of things that need to be done to mine.

Jeff

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The problem is that new grease guns all take cartridges. There's no way to fill them with oil. .. I'm hoping that some one has and old style gun that's empty so that we can put oil into it. .. ANYONE?...

I have one of the old type of guns, but only one and it's got grease in it now. I guess I <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">could</span></span> buy a cartridge gun and use this one for oil only, and probably should since the only way to fill this one is to buy cartridges then empty them into it.

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Fellows, I have just been contributing to another thread on the topic of oiling the front rack. Using oil in a grease gun is messy and there is a better alternative. If you want to pursue that, see this thread about <span style="text-decoration: underline"> John Deere Cornhead Grease.</span>

It is an oil that is suspended in a medium so it doesn't run all over the place, you just shoot it into the zerk with a regular grease gun. Available at any John Deere dealership.

Have fun,
Charlie

nomad

Yoda
Lot of guys using Corn head grease and being in that business I'm very familiar with it. It is just a very thin grease. I just go by what the book says and that is why I use 90wt thru an old gun. I would still be suspect of the JD grease getting where its needed.
Bill if you have an old gun that you hve to fill by squeezing a cartridge into it it would seem to me to be the perfect gun for 90wt. Buy a newer one for the cartridges.

My.02
Kurt

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
The corn head grease works great for me, Kurt. When I replaced my boots last year the racks were well lubricated end to end. The oil just ran all over the place and made a mess. Each to his own, I guess. Charlie.

nomad

Yoda
Well, Charlie, a guy is still going to have a gun dedicated to just the steering rack since JD grease is really not substantial enough for suspention and drive shaft. I'm set up for 90wt and it works for me so I suppose I will continue with it. Each to his own and both are a lot better than a dry steering rack.

Kurt.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'll be leading another lister in. He lives in the Portland Metro area and wants to see what we do when we gather. I met him at the ABFM-PDX and I think this will be his longest Spridget excursion to date; Portland to Seattle round trip, right around 400 miles. I don't know if he does BCF but we can give him the 3rd degree when we get him there.

Spriteman65

I'm still planning on being there this Saturday but it looks like my car won't be. Car developed a bad exhaust leak yesterday afternoon. Not sure if one of the welds failed on the header or if it just burnt a hole thru it.