• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mazda Protege loses high end power

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
My 2000 Protege 1.6 5 speed has always been reliable and peppy for a car its size.

Last week I started it up first thing in the morning, and soon as it fired, I heard a single metallic "klink" under the hood, and the engine stopped firing.

Restarted, and it fired fine, warmed up and idled fine. Can't see any problems under the hood.

But ... now on interstates, when I'm in 5th gear going about 70 mph, and get to a hill, I lose power.

Car actually slows from 70 to 50 going up hill; not fun when you've got trucks behind you. Even shifting into 4th doesn't keep up the speed. Open the throttle but no engine speed increase if at high mph. Never had this problem until after that "evil klink" sound last week. Weird.

Any thoughts? Seems fine and has power in all gears when driving slower (<50mph).

Thanks.
Tom

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Maybe worth pulling the timing cover and making sure the belt is still lined up.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Wait, sent that too fast... Also, (with engine off please) Check that the throttle is opening all the way when pedal is depressed

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Jesse - thanks for the ideas.

I agree that checking the belt is a good idea. But it takes several hours to remove the belts, power steering and other paraphernalia to get under the timing belt cover to inspect. The crank "sprocket" is obviously at the lower end of the engine, crammed up against the right side inner fender. PITA to inspect, especially for the three line-up points.

Tomorrow I'll give that throttle linkage a good going over. Sure hope that's it.

Matter of fact, as the idle is perfect (rpm and smoothness), and engine operates without any missing or other "weirdness", it almost seems there are no symptoms of timing problems. Man, I wish there were a way to check the timing without pulling the thing apart.

Thanks.
Tom