• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

May I share

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Last evening adjusted the float needles to 7/16 inch. Stoped most of the prob but........

Found that carbs seeped down while I was gone today enough to empty the float bowls hmmmmm......

Through thinking about where it had to be comming from I determined that it had to be the seal on the bottom bolt that holds the fuel chamber in the carb. A copper ring a narrow one. It is between this bolt that squeeses the large cork gasket and the brass bottom of the chamber.

The copper washer sets down in a grove in the squeeze bolt.

The new washers are just a bit larger in diam than the ones that I took out. And, and, are you ready for this. A ring of hard deposit had built a ledge between the old copper washer and the side wall of the seat it sat in. The new copper washer being bigger in diam was on this ledge and could not make a tight seal.

Used several things to remove it including pencil erasers to clean it out and buff the seat.

Reinstalled the chamber and not a seep or weep since.

I kinda hate to admit to something like this but you guys with H1s need to know where your seep if you have one is comming from and how to fix it.

The morning will tell the tail but has been an hour now and not a smell of fuel from either carbs.

Now maybe I can proceed with the proceedings.

The strange things you learn, and in my case sometimes relearn. Set the floats on H1s to 7/16 so the fuel is below the top of the jet valve and check the size of new copper seals for seating.

Can you know how pleased I am.

bugimike

Yoda
I can see the smile from here, there is a glow on the horizon to the north-west of here!!! That has to be a relief and just goes to prove, the cleaner, the better!

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You would not beleive how small that ridge was, I had to use a glass to see it. Old eyes are a pain.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
More progress, Jack. When you've got it all licked, you should gather up your posts and make up an article for the knowledge base. You've really gone through these carbs, and I've certainly learned a bunch that I'll put to good use when I tackle the H1s on Tunebug this spring.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No fuel weepage over nite. Clap clap.

I surely hope that hurdle is past. Long past.

bugimike

Yoda
Ah! The sweet smell of success (and NOT gas!)!! Bravo!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Now I am scared to fire it up, no telling what else I may find.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Fuel guage shows 1/8 full. Put another 2 gal in and shows the same. sigh.

bugimike

Yoda
Sticky float or guage?? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No clue Mike, that is way down on my list.

Just had a go at adjusting the carbs, some progress at about 1200 RPM, need a lot more playing, got the timeing for a change though. And I can now kill the engine by backing off the idle screws.

Heck, I think it might be time for a short drive just to keep my spirits up.

Waiting for batt to charge, seems generator is not working, that is next project.

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
Drew, surely you are going to be using the HS2s from the 1275, no?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I will, Chris, but I'm not going to get the 1275 into the car for a while. I really want to take it apart and make sure everything is okay in there first. I'll be driving on the 948 for a good part of the summer while I rebuild the mtor and save up money.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I guess that this is as good a thread to post in as any-
With Jack's original problems with overflow I was wondering about fuel pump pressures. I don't have a gauge that is fine enough to accurately measure pressures down around one to two PSI so I decided to measure it as best I could. I bought 20 feet of clear vinyl 1/4" ID tubing, strung it to the roof of the house (about 20 feet above the car), hooked the tubing to the pump outlet and turned the pump on. The pump did its thing and finally stopped when the fuel was 11'6" above the pump. I then tried the electric pump out of a 1976 Honda Accord and it pumped to 10'0", then with one of those little square gold pumps and it went to 8'3". I don't feel like figuring out the actual pressures but this at least showed that they are all "about" the same pressure (probably about 2 PSI) -and it's easy to do too.
Bill

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Quick and dirty, I like it.

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
Gas is about 74% as dense as water and 1psi is 27.7 inches of water. So it would seem to me that a column of gas would weigh 74% of a column of water of equal height. If my math is anywhere near correct then 1 psi would be around 37.4 inches. So wouldn't 10 feet be around 3.2psi and 8' 3" should be around 2.64psi. I could be way off on that but I'm thinking that you would be looking for a height of less than 74 inches to run less than 2psi. With that said, 3psi shoudn't be a problem in most cases. I don't think any guage that you could buy in the hardware store would be nearly as accurate as the way you measured it. I'm going to Lowes tomorrow to get me some vinyl tubing...
JC

Bugeye58

Yoda
jcatnite said:
I don't think any guage that you could buy in the hardware store would be nearly as accurate as the way you measured it. JC

That's why my <u>good</u> fuel pressure gauge is graduated in inches of water.
Jeff

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Jeff
Does your guage compare inches of water to PSI? (to give us a conversion)?
Bill

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jack -

Mine has a few problems that I could either blame on the timing or the "re-do" I did on the carbs (first porject on the car, ever, so the rare cnce exist that I could hav emessed it up like the other 99).

Question -- how do you know if the bowls are leaking? Smell of gas or ???

Also - could this be a cause of "run on" ? Could be timing - it jsut sounds too good to be that ?

Tx-

George Zeck