• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Makes me wonder

PeterK

Yoda
Every time I browse the ebay listings, I see more and more used parts listed from dismantlers.

At the rate I see parts flying off the junkers (and some not-so junkers) to be sold on ebay, I wonder how long the supply will last. I figure the best parts go first because they sell for the most profit.

What does this leave for future parts when the NLA parts are NLA even used? All the more reason to rebuild and restore what you have. Hoarding?

I've noticed, and wondered much the same, Peter. And yes, I've been buying items to keep on the shelf. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Jeff

That's why I bought all of my suspension parts on ebay that I sent for powder coating. I wanted a complete set even after the rebuild. Many of these are already NLA, so I wanted to grab them while they were still available.

Yeah, but ...

When we keep duplicates, it only compounds the rate at which parts are becoming harder and harder to find - which translates into higher and higher prices.

I found some spares for a TR3 that came with my 4A when I only had a TR4A and never thought I'd own a TR3 as well. So I sold them on ebay since I didn't need them. Now I also have a TR3 and wish I'd kept the parts I sold.

So what's next? Buy parts for cars you MIGHT purchase in the future?

BTW, I have a good sized stash of spares as well.

That's interesting. Back in the 80's when I was working on my last TR6, there was a fella around Atlanta that had a HUGE collection of junkyard Triumphs. I know because I used to get serviceable parts from him all the time. Back then, no one was into restoring these cars and often they were junked instead of repairing or restoring. But then they were only 10-15 years old, and there was very little interest in them after they went off the market. I guess it proves the point that many if not most of us that are interested in restoring Triumphs (and other LBC's) are baby boomers. Too bad that that down time of 20 years took its toll on the non-running cars. I suspect that a lot of them are dust-to-dust.

I'll admit I just bought a set of Lower A-Arms for the 4 off ebay. I'll have the bushings replaced and reamed and if they look to be in better condition than the originals, I'll change them out and hold on to the originals.

I agree. The profit of parting out the spare car may be too temping for some. I know a friend that bought a parts car that was in better shape then either of my current cars were when I started to restore them. He used the one part he wanted from it and then parted the rest on ebay. The body tub ended up getting crushed. I always thought that was a car someone should have restored rather then parted.

On the other hand how many of the current restored cars are on the road again because these parted out ebay parts are easy to get.

Better stockpile used parts before the Hoarders get aholt of 'em all.

I know a chap in England who had saved about 40 or 50 chromed handbrake levers for the sidescreen TRs. He was waiting till everyone needed one and he planned to charge a fortune for each one,

When no-one could get any of these anywhere, because he was still hoarding them, someone had about 500 re-manufactured. Now this chap is left holding all these nice original used parts and no-one wants them. That'll teach him !

Too, your header "Makes me wonder" gave me a flash. Thought you were leading into a rendition of Stairway to Heaven.

Don Elliott said:
I know a chap in England who had saved about 40 or 50 chromed handbrake levers for the sidescreen TRs. He was waiting till everyone needed one and he planned to charge a fortune for each one,

When no-one could get any of these anywhere, because he was still hoarding them, someone had about 500 re-manufactured. Now this chap is left holding all these nice original used parts and no-one wants them. That'll teach him !

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif Excellent.

TR6BILL said:
Too, your header "Makes me wonder" gave me a flash. Thought you were leading into a rendition of Stairway to Heaven.

In my mind, I was.

Brosky said:
That's why I bought all of my suspension parts on ebay that I sent for powder coating. I wanted a complete set even after the rebuild. Many of these are already NLA, so I wanted to grab them while they were still available.

Just imagine how many good used parts went right to the "crusher" up until about 1999 when Ebay really took off. Before that there was virtually no way to unload your stuff. (pun intended)

Stirkle said:
Brosky said:

Just imagine how many good used parts went right to the "crusher" up until about 1999 when Ebay really took off. Before that there was virtually no way to unload your stuff. (pun intended)

Again, to the dude in Atlanta, I know he had literally hundreds of TRs in his yard. I bought a month-specific wiring harness off him for a November '74 TR6. And many other parts. Can you imagine what that collection would be worth today if it were still around and in good shape like it used to be?

By the way, Dave at TRF used to work in Atlanta years ago doing some dismantling. Would anyone know if that was him?