• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Makes you want an LCB

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
I just had occasion to check the exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe union, and found one of the brass nuts completely missing, and the other two loose. Fortunately I had one of those brass nuts in one of those buckets of miscellaneous nuts and bolts we all have.

But getting it on was a real doozie. Clearly Mr Coker (bless his honoured name) never actually had to assemble one of these cars. I had to jack the car up and put it on axle stands, then get underneath with a long extension and a deep 1/2" socket before I could reach the nuts. Even then it was no picnic reaching the nuts.

While I was under there, I thought, if I had an LCB this problem would go away. But I thought I read somewhere that an LCB is not beneficial (or maybe just not worth the money) unless you have a "souped up" engine.

I may have to replace the entire exhaust one day, so I could go either way. I would appreciate the opinion of the wizards on this...

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
It is all in what you want. I drove my BE for close to 20 yrs with a stock 948 and tranny. Enjoying every minute of it. However, when the modifying bug hits, its a creature that can take on a life of its own. Its all fun and enjoyable, but it is all in what you want. Personally, I'd think a lbc would be a blast to drive where you live. Owning a lbc is not like a Miata. There is the working on and figuring out what that noise is. You feel a vibration and wonder, then the surface of the road changes, and the noise goes away. When cold, the top goes up and more noises are heard, but it is just that you can hear them because the top is up. Having a lbc allows one to have a driving expeience that has been called "motoring" which we all enjoy no matter which car we are in. Each car is unique, even if they are the same yr and model, because they have ben maintained by an individual that has made them his or her own.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
LCB = Long center branch header

LBC = Little British Car

I think he wants to put a LCB on his LBC. I'm not sure about the EPA and DOT but you may want to check ASAP.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Thanks Chris....I was lost until your post.
grin.gif

Count your blessings man! I know what motoring in a little British roadster is like in your area. I used to live in Carrboro, NC. (1995-2000). I could drive to the end of my street, make a left turn and be on a deserted two-lane road in beautiful Orange County. Nothin' but twisty blacktop and maybe a stop sign every 20 miles or so. Sometimes I would stop at the Weaver Street Market for a scone and a cup of coffee for the trip.
Now, we are back in suburban Chicago. We (wife and I) moved back because we missed the children and grandchildren. We haven't regretted the move because we are involved with their sports, school, music, community, etc., but sometimes I get that twinge and get out "The Brave Little Toaster", my Bugeye and head west about 30 miles for some back-road driving.
On the plus side, I have my Healey buddies in this area, and that is a big part of owning one of these cars. If something comes adrift, I can make a phone call and have 3 or 4 guys at my garage on a Saturday morning. I do the same for them. We take it apart, laugh and usually say something like, "Are you sure Donald meant it to work this way?" Donald, of course is Donald M. Healey.
The closest Austin-Healey Club is in Winston, probably 70 miles away. The monthly meeting was in Kernersvillle if I remember correctly. I was a member, but I also joined the MG Club in Raleigh. A good group, lots of meetings, activities, both social and driving. They always made me feel welcome even though I was a Yankee and drove an Austin_Healey.

OP
ncbugeye

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
Yes, I should have been clearer that I already have the LBC, it's the LCB to attach to the LBC that I am considering. kcbugeye1275 - your car and my car were made only a few months apart, perhaps even weeks apart.

In my case, I live in North Raleigh, and after about 4 miles of suburbia, I can be on the rural roads of northern Wake County, and after that, there are other even more rural counties all the way to the Virginia line.

But in my case I also get a kick out of simple things like picking my teenage son up from school in it, and hearing him getting chaffed for the "cute little car" by all the girls.

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Chris -

If you talking about the flange connecting the header to the rest of the exhaust system - I welded mine together and added a support. The next time I have a problem with that.

I have a mini lift in my garage (lifts the front and I use a floor jack on the pumpkin.

Without - it's a pita.

Geo

Country flag
James_the_elder said:
Now, we are back in suburban Chicago.

James, we are practically neighbors. I live in the NW corner of the city and get to Park Ridge on a regular basis. We like the Pancake House on Northwest Highway. Maybe a BCF/LBC gathering some Saturday or Sunday near there. There is that new big parking lot across the street where the mall used to be? And there is the Starbucks....perhaps a Park Ridge/Chicago version of Cars & Coffee? We'll need someone to take pics! :smile:

OP
ncbugeye

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
This thread is very interesting, but nobody has so far expressed an opinion on the advisability of fitting an LCB to an LBC.

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Chris:
IMHO adding a LCB exhaust to your set up would provide some minimal improvement over stock but the cost needs to be considered. I'll be installing a balanced, slightly overbored, Kent cam equipped 1275 with an improved flow cylinder head in my BE this summer and will have an LCB exhaust. The "improvements" I made to my engine are not radical by any means but I believe the LCB exhuast will make an improvement over stock for the set up.
If your engine is completely stock, and will remain so, it probably isn't worth your time and money to add a LCB exhaust. If you will be making modifications as you though, then I would seriously consider it.
Just my thoughts....
Roy

bugimike

Yoda
IMHO Any kind of header system is an improvement over the stock manifold as far as getting at the nuts and studs that hold it on! I undo mine without ever having to get underneath! The right spanners help... :wink:

OP
ncbugeye

ncbugeye

Jedi Warrior
Roy and Mike,

That was exactly what I wanted.

Thanks.