• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lowering a RB

Jarhead

Jedi Hopeful
As I start the restoration of my '77 B, a lot of ideas cross the mind. The idea of lowering the car just one inch seems like a must do. It appears to be a "bolt on change" and be no harder than putting the old back on. Maybe even easier with the new parts. Are there any negative impacts? Appears wheel clearance is not a problem. Wheel travel can be controlled with the right dampers and shocks can be stiffened with a new valve. Could this impact camber? Not sure!
I have also contemplated installing the offset wheels to give it a wider stance (just an inch ). I also keep flopping back and forth about going original or modified. I suppose the value is better as an original but, I keep coming back to the fact "I'm building it for me", so do whatever makes it a better ride. If it was an older B then original.

When I lower a RB car, I buy the lowering springs (front & rear from Moss) along with rear CB shock arms & rebound straps.

You can also go with negative camber lower "A" arms

When I lowered my '76, I used the 550#/in springs from Moss. When I got the car aligned after lowering it, the alignment shop showed me the alignment computer print out and the camber was not affected at all. If I recall correctly, it was at dead 0. I had to 'relocate' the bump stop (removed the spacer) because the car was sitting on them after I put the lowered springs in. Once I did that, the ride was firm but not abusive.

Although, I think the 550# springs may be a tad too stiff for normal road use. The front was slightly skittish on bad pavement. If I were to do it again, I think I was go for the 480#/in lowering springs.

To lower the rear, I used lowering blocks. If I were to do it again, I would get CB leafs for the rear.

Rob - if you look up under a RB car & then up under a CB car, you'll see where the springs fit is totally different...just like on the front suspension cross member, they welded tabs to the underside of the RB car to raise the body off the springs....so, just putting CB springs under one won't get all the lowering that lowering springs will.

Thanks Tony. I never thought about the rear shock arm and rebound straps. Do you think after lowering it that offset wheels will be okay and have plenty of clearance?

I would suppose that depends on the amount of offset...

I can't even use the blocks in the rear, my car is sagging on one side because of a bad leaf...maybe I should stop taking in strays and fix it? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

tony barnhill said:
Rob - if you look up under a RB car & then up under a CB car, you'll see where the springs fit is totally different...just like on the front suspension cross member, they welded tabs to the underside of the RB car to raise the body off the springs....so, just putting CB springs under one won't get all the lowering that lowering springs will.
Soooo, what you're saying is even if I swapped for CB leafs on the rear, I would still have to use blocks?

hmmmmmm... even so, I think I would still use CB leafs as it would make the rear less "stiff".

If you get up under your RB car & remove those welded on brackets that hold the rear of your springs out farther from the body, then you can put CB springs under it & be at CB height....however, I've done that to a car (notice I said "a car") & its a real pain! Its easier to buy a set of Moss' lowered rear springs or just use their lowering kit (268-140)....however, IMHO, just putting CB springs on it won't do much.

I don't think I would want to spread it more than about an inch, with lowering and movement of the rear end in a hard corner, it may rub.
Moss has the offsets I was looking at, unfortunately I don't have my catalog here with me for the part number. I haven't found them anywhere else.

I lowered my '80 last spring. I used lowering blocks for the rear with early rebound straps, lowered coils for the front and a set of shortened front bump stops. I also cut some rubber off the rear stops. The car handles and rides great!

I'm sure it has to help make it stick to the road better! I just got the rear end, shackles & springs, brake line, emergency brake cable, sway bar and the shocks off of the B last night. I'm sure none of these items had ever been off of the vehicle. Lot's of penetrating oil, brute strength and patience carried me through that one! :crazy: