• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Interior cockpit coatings and insulation

Rajun Cajun

Freshman Member
I just got my tr 6 back from the body shop and had new floor pans put in. they are sealed and primed twice. Anyone try using pick up truck bed liner as a first coat before doing any other work in the interior? was think about the sound insulation qualities of this product as well as the ability to absorb vibrations and protect the metal floor pans. any ideas or pictures please share.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Welcome to BCF!

I had slightly rusty floor pans, so scraped off surface, treated with phosphoric acid, then POR15. Then I put Home Depot foam carpet insulation mat (loose, not glued) on the surface, and regular interior carpet. That carpet insulation does *wonders* for heat and sound insulationi.

The pickup liner stuff may help a bit with sound, and will certainly "protect" the floor pans if that's what you want. But rubber mats and/or carpeting will do the same thing - and are removable if needed.

Got any pictures of your 6?

Tom

PeterK

Yoda
IMO bedliner is a perfect undercoating, floor stiffener, and vibration absorber. I would put it on outside surfaces not in the interior but have seen it done both ways. I wouldn't want to try to remove it though as it seems like it bond so well, it would be worse than asphalt undercoatings of the past.

OP
R

Rajun Cajun

Freshman Member
Welcome to BCF!

I had slightly rusty floor pans, so scraped off surface, treated with phosphoric acid, then POR15. Then I put Home Depot foam carpet insulation mat (loose, not glued) on the surface, and regular interior carpet. That carpet insulation does *wonders* for heat and sound insulationi.

The pickup liner stuff may help a bit with sound, and will certainly "protect" the floor pans if that's what you want. But rubber mats and/or carpeting will do the same thing - and are removable if needed.

Got any pictures of your 6?

Tom

Thanks for the welcome aboard. I will take some happy snaps of the car today. I have three goals in this project. First is a bit of heat insulation on the right side of the cockpit. previously, I noticed a bit more heat under the right side and when I removed the carpet on the right side it looked really ugly. my guess is the combination of heat and moisture and temperature extremes helped cause the right side floor pan to deteriorate more as compared to the left. secondly, a little sound proofing might be nice, and thirdly, if I can protect the metal from water that will be an obvious benefit, although I don't plan to drive the car in the rain. As a side note, I am also going to wrap the exhaust pipes with a quality exhaust wrap.

OP
R

Rajun Cajun

Freshman Member
DSC01105.jpgre6rght.jpgtr6frnt.jpgtr6left.jpg

TR3pilot

Country flag
May I be so bold as to ask the cost of the labor for the floor replacement?

Thanks

ps I know of a stock trader who goes by your handle, not you is it?

OP
R

Rajun Cajun

Freshman Member
the cost of the floors was 200, I bought those. the labor was about 8K. Also involved in that was replacing all 6 U joints and powder coating rear end while it was disassembled for the floor pan replacement. the shop told me that they had to drill out each weld individually and peel back the metal and then re-install. I had started out just wanting to do lizard skin on the floor pans for about 400. floor pans were too rusted to do it, so they had to be replaced. another local shop owner went and looked at the car and he told me I was getting way over-charged. the conclusion was that while the car was on a lift and brace welded to hold everything in place that I was sort of sucked into completion of the job. every invoice I got was 40 percent more than originally estimated. I finally pulled the car once the floor pans were in and decided to do the spray in liner just due to cost as no more funds were available to do the lizard skin. not a stock trader.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I used Raptor Liner on my B/E. It is tintable and it can be rolled on or sprayed. Hard as nails. One step for you and done! You can get a kit on Ebay. 4 qts will do both top and bottom with extra for areas that would typically be undercoated.
Paul

OP
R

Rajun Cajun

Freshman Member
I just got my tr 6 back from the body shop and had new floor pans put in. they are sealed and primed twice. Anyone try using pick up truck bed liner as a first coat before doing any other work in the interior? was think about the sound insulation qualities of this product as well as the ability to absorb vibrations and protect the metal floor pans. any ideas or pictures please share.
below are some pictures of my 74 TR 6.

Attachments

• DSC01100.jpg
    DSC01100.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC01104.jpg
    DSC01104.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC01105.jpg
    DSC01105.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01106.jpg
    DSC01106.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC01107.jpg
    DSC01107.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC01108.jpg
    DSC01108.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 68

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I used bed liner as an undercoat on my 6. It is holding up nicely!
110_1086.jpg

UltimateQuestion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yikes! 8K for floors! I am even more convinced to learn welding while replacing mine.

MichaelG

POR 15 would be choice. it has held up for many years on my 4A. You might only need one of their topcoat products given the two fresh coats of primer...best to call customer support for recommendation. Many choices on insulation. I elected to insulate the underside of the transmission tunnel with a foil faced heat shield attached with 3M heavy duty spray adhesive and covered the seams with aluminum tape..aluminum side facing out. Under the carpet I would only use something that breaths such as regular Jute underlayment or perhaps the "synthetic jute"...this way no moisture will be trapped between the floor and whatever is under the carpets.