• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Interesting Difference Between 2 1985 Cars

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My '85 XJ6 has a wood-veneered center console around the shift lever: but my '85 parts car has a black vinyl covered center console...interesting as both cars are VP's!

Reason I'm wondering is the veneer on my car is cracked & I was thinking about swapping the consoles....thoughts?

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
yes, I'll take the black vinyl panel and you can have 100 wood covered panels.

Ex

Attachments

• 10293.jpg
    10293.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 227
OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So, I should swap to the black vinyl? Just wish I could see the entire console in your photo. hehehe....I'll pull it Monday.

& where'd you get that steering wheel?

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Saw it - what year's your Jag?

& where'd you get that steering wheel?

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
mine's a 1984. the wheel is a Momo Olympic 15" black leather which I installed in 1992. No longer made. I got tired of the school-bus sized thin steering wheel of the XJ-6. The Momo has a lot of grip.

I guess it's a matter of how you like your console. I've seen many cars with the wood console and I don't like it, not to mention the lacquer starts cracking inmediately. The vinyl in my car has lasted since new, even today, it looks like new. Easy to clean. Impervious to liquids. The wood covered panel first showed up in 1986, so someone must have replaced yours. There were no wood covered panels in 1985, VDP or otherwise.

another mod you might like is converting to the UK headlamp switch, which gives you more "presets" than the US switch, such as using the Fog or Driving lights with the low or high headlamps, which the US switch does not allow.

Attachments

• 10294.jpg
    10294.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 78
OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Another great idea; guess I need to start watching eBay.

however....

So much to do....so many cars....so little time!!

(hmmm, that might be what I need to put in my sig!)

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
can you explain what <span style="font-weight: bold">The Autoist </span>is? What is that list of MG? Do you own them all?

My first car was a 1969 MG-B MK-III in June 1969.

I still have the original steering wheel, Owners's Manual, Service Booklet, and dealer brochure.

My dream car is the 1933 MG-T Airline Coupé, that's what I'm saving the MG-B steering wheel for.

Attachments

• 10295.jpg
    10295.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 78
OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]can you explain what The Autoist is? What is that list of MG? Do you own them all? [/QUOTE]
My website: https://www.theautoist.com. My daughter first started calling me that in the '80's & now most everyone who knows me does also.

....&, yep, I own every one of those MG's!

Oh, unfortunately, your steering wheel won't fit the PA without some serious modifications!

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
well, that takes care of my MG-B steering wheel dream project...

I like the old MG Saloons of the 1930's. Tiny big cars.

That's some collection Anthony, and I see you're no stranger to mods. I understand now. Your website should have been named "Meister Autoist".

My collection amounts to two cars. After all, a "collection" is "more than 1", right?

Ex

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Tony: XKS Unlimited has a selection of custom wheels for the Jags.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Another choice is the XJS 89 ONLY "sport" steering wheel. This is a nice fat leather wrapped wheel, with "thumb rests" and is genuine Jaguar. You see them on Ebay from time to time. Again, in the US anyway, these are one model year only, so you will have to look a bit. They look and feel good, and will just bolt right up, being an exact interchange.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'll agree Exotexs, that the MOMO is great. I have one off a MK2 that I salvaged some years back and am holding it for my MK1. XKs used to have MOMO, I think Welsch.ent might, but I haven't looked lately. By the way Tony, someone asked if all those listed cars were yours? They are LBCs, I think you just about have your 3-car garage full!

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Larry,

Momo discontinued their 15" wheels, and now all they make is 12", 13", and maybe a 14" or two. They must think everybody drives a Honda! It's very sad but the wheels they make nowadays look awful.They make nothing now for Jaguar after Ford threatened Momo, Motolita, Nardi, and everyone in the aftermarket accessories with legal action if they made Jaguar horn button emblems or any accessory with the Leaper or Growler, so you cannot get horn buttons with Jaguar emblems anymore, unless they are nos or used. I was lucky that I got my Momo Olympic from a business that was closing in 1992. They sent me a growler and leaper Momo horn emblems, which I am using in my two Jags.

Save your Momo, they are becoming rare. MossMotors has the hub kit for the MK-1, MK-II, S type, and 420. They also have a line of leather and wood steering wheels called "Tourist Trophy", very high quality and cheap! They have a thin version and a thick version which nobody makes. However, I don't think they would look good in the XJ-6, they're mostly for old classics.

Ex

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
LarryK said:
I'll agree Exotexs, that the MOMO is great. I have one off a MK2 that I salvaged some years back and am holding it for my MK1. XKs used to have MOMO, I think Welsch.ent might, but I haven't looked lately. By the way Tony, someone asked if all those listed cars were yours? They are LBCs, I think you just about have your 3-car garage full!
hehehehe....as of today, its full - & the Jaguar is sitting outside!

D

Deleted member 8987

I always liked the MKI steering wheel.
Thinking about trying to find one.
Anybody know if it's a bolt-on for a MKII?