• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hydrogen generators HHO fuel supplement

JoeC

I'm seeing more and more listings on eBay for Hydrogen generator kits to supplement hydrogen into your car's fuel system to ultimately increase your mpgs. Does anyone have any first-hand experience that this is really worth the effort and safe for your car?

Thanks.

MGBGT_noob

Jedi Hopeful
One word "pseudoscience".

That may count as two words, but the meaning remains the same.

None of the guys who sell these gizmos can explain how you can get more energy out of them than you put in. If you read their websites, you'll see that they are all full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. When they try to explain how the device works, the description descends into anecdote and assumption.

The laws of thermodynamics state that the energy you put into a process (say splitting water into Hydrogen and Oxygen) limits the energy you can recover from the reverse of that process (burning the Hydrogen and Oxygen, to get back to water).

Until someone can tell me how it works, I won't waste my time building one.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
These guys come out of th' woodwork every time gas takes a jump. Just keep the car tuned properly and tires at proper inflation. Resisting the temptation to stuff yer boot in it can help th' most. :wink:

R

RonMacPherson

These are the same guys that sell fuel line "magnets" as fuel savers.

The key factor, as mentioned, is the energy required to convert. At the present development stage, unless you're running a nuclear reactor(think submarine) it takes more energy to convert(extract) than it produces.....

Hopefully in the future(near future would be nice). But alas, at the present, the only money saved will be in the wallets of those selling these devices...

OP
JoeC

JoeC

Yea, it all sounds great, but I figured if it really worked there'd be hundreds of street corner auto shops installing the things. Thanks for the replies.

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I Googled HHO the other day. I found that there are several hundred websites about it, but only 3 companies run by 2 men ACTUALLY selling these things. I thought it might be worth a try, then I thought if it works that good EVERY car company in the world would be building these things. Just another "something for nothing" scam I believe.
grin.gif

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
A while back Popular Mechanics tested a bunch of "gas saving" devices on a dyno in a controlled fashion. Every device they tested either increased fuel consumption, increased emissions, reduced power or all of the above. Oh and the best for last, one of the devices caused the vehicle to catch on fire.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And the other side of this equation is: P.T. Barnum was right.

*sigh*

Country flag
Now wait a minute, the device that caused the vehicle to catch on fire DID save gas....the car was no longer driveable!! No more gas needed!! LOL :laugh:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That goes to my argument against th' "Drive 55" nonsense. If "55 Saves Lives" then it goes without saying if we were restricted to, say, 40MPH we'd save even MORE lives... If we stopped driving alltogether, NOBODY dies. Th' logic is impeccable. :smirk:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
That goes to my argument against th' "Drive 55" nonsense. If "55 Saves Lives" then it goes without saying if we were restricted to, say, 40MPH we'd save even MORE lives... If we stopped driving alltogether, NOBODY dies. Th' logic is impeccable. :smirk:

Not sure I agree with the logic. If I don't get to drive my Midget this summer, someone's going to die! :driving: :devilgrin:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
hmmm.

...mebbe I shoulda stated: "NOBODY dies screaming in a horrible flaming car crash." :jester:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
OK, you got me there :lol:

"when I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did - not screaming like the rest of the people in his car." :devilgrin: