• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

first startup

hvacr

Freshman Member
More experience needed. I put all the new parts in my 1500 Midget engine and it runs great ...but I see no fuel filter and I have fuel starvation symptoms. That’s one problem. I also have some questions about the cooling water flow. The manual does not actually show much. The new radiator (brand new from Moss) has a small tube where there was a big tube. What do you call this system with the two tubes on each side of the bottom? Will it typically overheat during a long idle? I’m not sure the t’stat opened. But I can check that tomorrow.

Hi Ed,
If you see no fuel filter, or did you mean no fuel in the filter? I would certianly install one if you dont have one. I would check the tank and the lines for possible blockages, kinks, or other possible problems. How is the tank condition? It is fairly simple to look inside the tank from the trunk, check for rust or contamination. What carb are you running?

As far as the rad goes i had never given it much thought about the extra bottom hose. Perhaps someone else can give some advice there.

Glad to hear your car is up and running.

Mark

Don't hesitate to call Moss. I think if you ask them what that tube is for they will be able to help. Good luck with your "new" LBC!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Guinn

Woops. I meant good luck with your new LBC engine re-build!!

Guinn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Thanks all, I now have one whole intense hour looking for leaks and horrible noise from my rebuild. Mark, I found the 400+ screen pluged on the fuel pump. I'm now looking for a place to check the calibration of the temp sensor. I do have a non contact spot meter so I think anywhere on the block should be reliable. I do NOT know what a reasonable break-in time is for new pistons, rings and honned sleeve. I have a new head with all new valves and guides. I will check my tappets after another hour of run.

what kind of horrible noise?

I would suggest being fairly ez with the first several hundred miles for break in. keep the rpm's down to less thatn 3k. a new cam (if you have one) should be bedded in at 2k or so for 20 minutes, check manfuctures recomendations. My books say a progressive break in. But dont give specific details.

Mark

Mark, I had nervous anticipation of noise, witch did not happen. I have 7-8 happy miles, up and down the road, its running very well.

Hi Ed, I have seen my temperature gauge creeping up when sitting at idle on a hot day. Usually if I rev the engine a little then the fan moves more air and the pump moves more water. Going from your desription of the radiator, are you sure you didn't get a '75 radiator? Moss doesn't have the ones for '76 and later, which might explain the difference. The '75 radiator didn't cool very well. Try Victoria British if you're looking for a '76 radiator, I think I saw they carry them now. The two fittings on the bottom of the radiator should be the same size, and the one on the top right (right side of the car) should be smaller, about 1" in diameter.

As for the fuel pump, good find on the screen. I added an inline fuel filter in the hose just before the carburetor on mine, since I too was surprised there was no filter.