• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Finally started work on the B

BuddyJ

After months of driving up and down the street, my best friend finally got motivated enough to start fixing his 76 B. The first thing it needs is a new radiator and fuel filter, so we took out the old radiator and put in a new filter over Thanksgiving. While we were working, we also removed the air pump.

He called me today because he got the new radiator hoses, thermostat, and air pump plugs and so when I get out of school next week, we can fix it! I'm so excited I could spit. We're also debating switching to an electric fan, so we might do that too.

He also talked to our local MG guy about fixing the clutch, engine mounts and lights. If my friend gets job over Christmas break, he'll be able to get his car streetable by the summer.

I get my LBC fix vicariously through his car. I do the reading and research, and he pays for the parts. We both do the labor. Neither of us have had a car that we could work on before, so this is a major learning experience. I've done FSAE at college, but he's never worked on anything. I'm so glad that he finally found a joy in turning wrenches on his car because now we can work on it.

If it was my car, I'd have already fixed most of the stuff, but since it isn't, I've had to wait until he was ready to get crackin. And now it's time!

Gary Lloyd

Jedi Knight
Good for you Buddy!!!! Enjoy!!!
driving.gif

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Great news! I am happy that you are getting this chance to work on one of these great little cars. Only a matter of time now before you get your own.
grin.gif

I have fond memories of turning wrenches on a friend's Mini. The bug bites quickly and it doesn't let go! Enjoy.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Sounds like a worthy project! Is the radiator shot or could it be repaired? (It might be less $$ to fix the existing one if its not too bad).

Good luck and keep us posted,
Basil

G

and new radiators from the usual suspects are basically junk. have the old one recored or find a good used one from somebody like Tony

OP
B

BuddyJ

We went to the local MG guy and picked up an original one in great condition. It just needs rinsed out and it's ready to go. I think the plan is to keep the old one and eventually have it recored or something.

As for getting my own. After I graduate next December, I'll be actively looking for one. I've had my eye on one of Tony's GTs
wink.gif
so hopefully he'll still have some nice projects in a year.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Buddy....was that radiator stored dry or full of anti-freeze? If dry, have it pressure tested - it might be good, it might not....&, more times than not, I've found that radiators stored dry need some repairs!

OP
B

BuddyJ

I'm not sure how it was stored, but I'd guess it was dry. The guy we got it from is very reputable, and I don't think he'd sell a bad product because he does work for all the MG people in Oklahoma City. We'll check anyways. Thanks for the heads up.
thumbsup.gif

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Welcome to the Forum and good luck...I have no doubt you will have your own baby before long
cheers.gif

Just out of curiosity, how long can a radiator be stored dry? I am planning to drain and pull mine this winter while I rebuild the front end and take care of some clean up of excess painted areas (like the whole front of the engine, fan supports)and wonder if it will hurt to store my radiator dry for the winter???
confused.gif

Bruce

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My radiator guy tells me that whenever I remove one I'm not planning on reinstalling in a short time (don't know how 'short' 'short' is) I should fill w/antifreeze....I pressurize every radiator I plan on reinstalling or selling & then fill with anti-freeze....of course, some of mine might sit on shelf a couple of years.