• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

diffuculty in obtaining chassis number for bj8

saltiga

bj8 mark 3 phase 2
in the authentic restoration guide by gary anderson and roger moment i refer page 141, second row down {in reference to convertibles eg bj8} quote "the car`s chassis number was also stamped on the right front shock tower on the convertibles".
i have found the number 593 stamped in this area only. anyone with any ideas as to where the other 2 number are/would be ?

saltiga said:
bj8 mark 3 phase 2
in the authentic restoration guide by gary anderson and roger moment i refer page 141, second row down {in reference to convertibles eg bj8} quote "the car`s chassis number was also stamped on the right front shock tower on the convertibles".
i have found the number 593 stamped in this area only. anyone with any ideas as to where the other 2 number are/would be ?
You may want to use a fine grit sandpaper and sand down the whole area. The number stretches accross the whole end plate. It helps to know your whole serial number so you can see what appears to be a number. Mine was poorley stamped and the last digit was an "8" but only the front part of the 8 was showing otherwise I would have mistaken it for a "3".
If the shock tower number doesn't match your serial number on the firewall plate you can contact Steve Byers and he can help you identify your "true car".
Patrick

Mine was the same as Patrick. I could make out that is was the correct serial number but it took a little imagination. Have a good day!

John

saltiga said:
steve byers ?

Yep, he is the BJ7/8 Registrar and is listed just above the cakender add on this forum.--Keoke

purchased the car without firewall plate and engine number. have done as you have suggested and only found these three numbers. have not removed idler bracket to look underneath.would anyone know if these number 593 are the last three numbers of the chassis number? i believe the last car made in 1968 was 43026?

saltiga said:
purchased the car without firewall plate and engine number. have done as you have suggested and only found these three numbers. have not removed idler bracket to look underneath.would anyone know if these number 593 are the last three numbers of the chassis number? i believe the last car made in 1968 was 43026?
It may be possible that you have the original transmission and read end. Both of these units have serial numbers on them and can probably crossed referrenced by Steve Byers. You said you purcahsed the car without a "firewall plate". Are you referring to the Serial number plate? What about the body number plate which is above the serial number plate? See if it's still there.
Patrick

thank you very much for your reply patrick. all number plates and identification have been removed from this vehicle.registration papers were given but these do not line up with the changes to the vehicle eg dual indicators lights, half inch crackshaft pulley(fan). have contacted steve byers as suggested just now.the car was boughty ten years ago in houston texas and brought to south australia. i am rebuilding it from scratch.

saltiga said:
thank you very much for your reply patrick. all number plates and identification have been removed from this vehicle.registration papers were given but these do not line up with the changes to the vehicle eg dual indicators lights, half inch crackshaft pulley(fan). have contacted steve byers as suggested just now.the car was boughty ten years ago in houston texas and brought to south australia. i am rebuilding it from scratch.
Check for the "spacing" of the 5 digit numberthat;s on the shock tower. It will help identify the correct serial number. Take a good digital photo of the shock tower plate and send it to Steve along with the original color. Steve is always glad to help Healey owners with these type of problems.
Patrick