• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Curious....

G

What's the point of the Star Wars handles? Seems kinda childish to me to be naming posters names from a science fiction movie

Its just a way to quickly see how many posts a person has contributed to the site....a little humor also.

It's a weird thing that shows how many posts you've made. You'll get used to it after a while. (or ignore it). I'm almost to the last stage (yoda) in about 4 months.... But then I'm a chatty Kenny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif hehehehehehe.

Why does it matter how many posts one makes? The quality of the post is what counts in my eyes

Well Gerry we all pick and choose what we read and answer to, so that's the best way to judge,don't you think. We're in Abbeville- if you're in the neighborhood give me a jingle & stop by anytime!! Randi

The only practical reason for a post count is so new users can more easily sort the quality advise from the garbage. Of course a high post count does not mean the post is worth anything, but at least it helps people know the poster is not a newbie. Nearly all forums display the post count for various reasons.

How about,

My checkbook is my toolbox
I can check my own oil
Future DPO
Parts replacer
Budding Diagnostician
All my Lucas works because I fixed it
Power tuned MOWOG

Or

Berkeley
Crosley Hot Shot
MG/TR
D-Type
Lotus JPS
McLaren F1

[ QUOTE ]
What's the point of the Star Wars handles? Seems kinda childish to me to be naming posters names from a science fiction movie

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh... And playing with LBC's ISN'T childish???

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Mickey

Why, no it isn't. Very grown-up. Playing with fire and things containing smoke in wires is way too dangerous for children!

It just came built into the software they use here...

Nobody is making a concious effort to treat us like children.

Hey - at least Basil shied away from referring to us as ewoks, or jar-jars!

Mesa tinkin' dissie not so bad!

Basil suggests we not call each other or ourselves alot of other thing TOO!!! Rules Rules Rules!!!Happy Easter all! Randi

<<The only practical reason for a post count is so new users can more easily sort the quality advise from the garbage. Of course a high post count does not mean the post is worth anything, but at least it helps people know the poster is not a newbie.>>

For the most part, I agree with this. Still though, the post count does include all of the garbage from the OT threads that abound. It may show that the person isn't a newbie to posting but it certainly doesn't guarantee that the person is an LBC fountain of knowledge. One needs to be observant for a little while to recognize who offers good, useful advice and who is just posting to post. Just my 2¢.

<OT garbage creator #2 - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

But I do post helpful stuff where I feel I can actually help, and have knowledge in that particular area of info.

My $1 and 2¢ worth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
<all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy>

[ QUOTE ]
Why does it matter how many posts one makes? The quality of the post is what counts in my eyes

[/ QUOTE ]

The handles don't matter at all, Gerry. Childish? Perhaps, but it's a capability that is part of the software and is mainly meant for fun. It does have at least some practical purpose in that it allows members to see who the active folks are. The software also allows for members to "rate" other members, but I opted not to enable that. As for quality of posts, members can "rate" individual threads, which I do encourage if/when quality threads are encountered. With over 6000 members, I know that I'm not going to please everyone, so I try to make BCF a mix of serious technical stuff as well as just simple fun. I try to strike a balance that will please the broadest range of folks.

Cheers,
Basil

Basil wrote:
[ QUOTE ]

With over 6000 members, I know that I'm not going to please everyone, so I try to make BCF a mix of serious technical stuff as well as just simple fun. I try to strike a balance that will please the broadest range of folks.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO: Most Admirably Done, too!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO! I can only imagine the amount of work that Basil must put into BCF to keep it inarguably the best run forum on the internet. I lurk on a lot of forums, and I can honestly say that I’ve never seen anyone put as much time and effort into making a place useful, fun and enjoyable for all as Basil seems to. Silly titles notwithstanding, Basil, you are to be commended for what you have built here and we are all the beneficiaries of your efforts.

Thanks!
JD

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO! I can only imagine the amount of work that Basil must put into BCF to keep it inarguably the best run forum on the internet. I lurk on a lot of forums, and I can honestly say that I’ve never seen anyone put as much time and effort into making a place useful, fun and enjoyable for all as Basil seems to. Silly titles notwithstanding, Basil, you are to be commended for what you have built here and we are all the beneficiaries of your efforts.

Thanks!
JD

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, thanks JD, I appreciate that the effort is appreciated. Perhaps if I didn't spend so much time fiddling with this forum I could have had my Jag back on the road years ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

But the point someone here made about quality versus quantity is valid. Not all high-volume posters are created equal. Take someone like Dave Russell (over in the Healey forum), who has a very high post count and almost all of them are infomative, usefull posts. So the observation is valid that if you hang arround long enough you learn to separate the wheat from the chaff. I'll reiterate that if folks see a thread that contains good, quality advice or useful information, please take a second to rate the thread (There is a rating drop-down menu a the bottom of each thread as you read the thread). The ratings will place stars (1 to 5) in the rating column when viewing a list of topics. Just something to think about.

Basil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

6000 members? Man, it seems like just a short time ago when Chuck Cougill came to me asking that I visit and join the BCF because you were trying to reach 1500 by the year's end! The mere fact that there are 6000 members means that you are doing everything right! My congrats, Basil!