• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Benz lockout...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Had to R&R the steering column lock in Diesela. Five hour contest, squirmin' on my back trying to work upside-down. Did it Sunday AM and my neck is STILL stiff/sore.

Stoopid lock was worn to the point that the striker would drop further down than designed, the tumbler then was NOT able to engage the lifting mechanism. Put the silly "pin" in the retracted position, wound in a sheetmetal screw to wedge it, cut the protruding remainder of the fastener off with a Dremel and POTTED the space around it in Epoxo-88. MacGyver'd up and ready to go.

'smits declared the entire car is its own theft deterrent device, no <span style="font-style: italic">need</span> for a steering column lock! :jester:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I've always harbored paranoia about those steering lock gizmos. Even my 1958 M-B has one.

Bombing along the Autobahn at 160 kph, getting ready for the long curve ahead ... and the steering wheel decides to stay in "straight ahead" mode.

eek.

T.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've never been a fan either, Tom. I've had occasion to NEED to shut an engine down as the car was moving... not an option with the locking columns. :eeek:

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
My cars have the same anti-theft. Heaven forbid someone actually figures out how to start it....From there it's all on them to save their skins. Best of luck buddy!