• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Advice Needed: Batteries and Hole Plugging

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
What do people advise as a good, cheap and cheerful battery for the TR6? Will just about anything that fits in the box do or are there some minimum specs?

I'm thinking of attaching a rollbar. The car had a rollbar at some time in the past, since there are a total of 14 holes (four for each front leg and three for each back leg) in the rear shelf. The rollbar I get will almost certainly need new holes drilled in the shelf. I don't want to end up with a pepperpot effect, so what is the best way of plugging the existing holes. Perhaps with plastic hole plugs from the H/W store?

Thanks!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I believe any of Group 24, Group 75 or Group 78 will fit. As for cheap and cheerful, try Wally-mart.

Sorry, no help on the holes. I'd probably want to weld new metal in, but I doubt that's the answer you want to hear.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I just get the biggest (amp) group 24 battery that I can find at WalMart. I do peel the many labels off and add a few of my own to make it look a little more period.

Last one I got was 720amp/600cca for about 48 bucks.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif with all of the above! Battery, big, cheap, chain store! Roll bar holes: find plastic or rubber plugs at any hardware store. I'm not much a fan of roll bars in street cars, since arguably the vast majority of them aren't worth using either due to their materials/construction or where you're "forced" to mount them.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'd pick up a Type 24 battery at Costco. The one for my TR3 was $32, although that was 3 years ago.... I buy all my batteries at Costco; excellent price, and a well-known manufacturer, Johnson Controls. Don't forget to recycle at a Hazardous materials center; Costco doesn't do cores!

BryanC

Jedi Hopeful
As I was welding up the holes from the old "roll bar" attachment on my car this weekend I was thinking about how questionable the installation really was. Most of the bars I've seen for sale don't have the cross bracing that is really necessary if you think you're going on your head. Also, attaching to the rear shelf seems a little questionable since it could crush down a bit under the load. Lots of places call them "style bars" now since they don't even want to imply they'll help for roll overs. I don't want it in my street car because I don't wear a helmet and my head hits it. But, if you like the style or want whatever protection they may offer, then go for it.

Bryan

amcboy

Jedi Hopeful
I'd weld 'em up.

More work, but the "right" thing to do.

Looks like the battery is covered above...

D

DougF

If you decide to use a roll bar, your tonneau cover will need altered to be usable.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
DougF said:
If you decide to use a roll bar, your tonneau cover will need altered to be usable.

I don't have a tonneau cover. I can't imagine ever using a tonneau! Under what circumstances do they get used?

swift6

Yoda
They are good for protecting the interior without putting the top up and allow for easy single person occupancy without taking the whole thing off. Can keep your seats cooler too. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Lets you drive solo on a cool day with the top down. All the heat is sent to the drivers side.

As mentioned earlier, top down, park the car, snap and zip the tonneau. When you come back, unzip and snap, you have cool seats and no pigeon poop.

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I fit mine this fall, and love taking the car out on cooler days and not getting cold as it cuts the air flow on my lower body. I use it when I need to park outside temporarily as well.

TonneauPassWeb.jpg

I cannot imagine not having it available in the trunk anymore.

T

Tinster

Can someone kindly post a photo of a TR6 with the
tanno cover on it??

Are they made from boating canvas?

thanks,

d

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Dale, they were originally made out of Naugahyde, other waterproof materials are now available and in use.

I think you would be better off purchasing one that comes with all the attachment hardware. A local upholstery shop could then modify it to accommodate the thingy you added to the car.

https://www.classiccarcenter.net/triumph74.html

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
jjbunn said:
...Under what circumstances do they get used?

For me only 2 circumstances call for a tonneau:

1. When the car is moving.
2. When the car is parked.

I doubt that I've had the top up 5 times in the past 10 years.

Dale, they are typically made from material similar to that used in the tops. They tend to be very long-lived even in daily use as they are less subject to folding & abuse than tops and of course there are no windows to scratch.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Get a Tonneau, Julian. You'll love it if you normally go topless. Driving with all but the driver side sealed up, cuts down on wind noise and drag. Parked and zipped up it provides privacy for the cockpit contents, protection from sun and rain. And if you do get caught in a shower /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif while driving alone at least half of the interior is protected.
Any one considering buying a used one needs to consider that the fasteners on the tonneau may not(probably won't) line up with the fastener's mate on your car's body.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif By the way, anyone know where the name "tonneau" comes from??

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
poolboy said:
By the way, anyone know where the name "tonneau" comes from??

From French for tunnel or cask. Probably the later as it referred to the open seating in early cars. What we call the tub, they call tonneau. The French has a certain ring to it.