• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a FREE resource for the Little British Car community. I just did a little math and found that less than 1% of the registered members appreciate this forum enough to support us with an account upgrade. We do not "require" you to pay to play here, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Consider supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A bit more teardown

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Was able to spend a few hours last night puttering about on the 74 Midget. Got the exhaust removed, clutch slave removed, and a few of the mounting bits for the transmission. Pretty much all that is left to do is the transmission mount bolts, drain the engine/transmission, and hoist it out. Might try to get to that in a week or 2.

mg_exhaust.jpg

Do I need to keep anything from the exhaust? I've got what looks like a stock manifold. On the exhaust pipe there is a piece that bolts up to the manifold. Do I need to keep this if I am going to reuse the manifold? Anybody want a Monza muffler (if I can get it off the pipe)?

[ QUOTE ]
there is a piece that bolts up to the manifold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it a flange with three holes/studs? You might need to Drew. The 'usual suspects' don't appear to have the flanges so I would keep them. Are you using the BE exhaust?

Don't really know what exhaust I'm going to use. Depends on what the breathing needs are for the engine. I vaguely remember that the 1275 had a larger diameter exhaust pipe, but I could be making that up. I'm also not opposed to going with a header setup.

I'll definitely pull that flange off the exhaust, though. Probably grab the mounting bits too, just can't have too many extra bits around.

Zimmy -- You were looking for a windshield maybe, right? I looked at the one on the 74, and it's in decent shape. At least one rock chip was noticed, and a few small other spots here and there. If I were keeping the car, I wouldn't replace it, but don't know if it would be better than what you have. If you're interested, I'll get some pics up that point out the issues.

I'll also see if I can get the muffler off the pipe. It looks pretty new, and would clean up well. Should it just slip off?

Drew:

I kept my pipe. After I installed the header, I had the muffler shop use it as a template to bend the larger pipe for the header. It doesnt take too much space if you stand it up.

doohhh - disregard above, you have the pipe from the Tunebug.

Well I would keep one of em.

Patrick

Does a 1275 require a larger diameter pipe? The pipe on the Tunebug is in good shape, would be nice to reuse if it was appropriate.

You should be able to cut the muffler off. Then Zimmy or whoever can flare the cut end so that it can be put on a the new car.

A larger pipe is required for a header.

Patrick

[ QUOTE ]
A larger pipe is required for a header.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you keep the header, you may need a new exhaust completely. Given the cost of headers, I'd think about a new exhaust, or keep the one you took off (Sorry Zim!), although, and this is purely an opinion, a Monza may not suit aethetically, a BE, and you may only need the last 1/3.
If you put the old BE exhaust on, or header for that matter, you may not get as much power out of it as if you had all 1275 stuff. Don't loose that flange!

keep your flange for use at the muffler shop when ur getting ur new exhaust pipe made...shouldnt cost too much....the mufflers for a midget, cut it off, ill use it...
mine is original and worn out.....i think ill just get a new windshield, thanks for checkin Drew....lemme know what u decide........zimmmy

I'm going to cut the muffler off no matter what, since I don't plan on using it (not a fan of that style muffler), and it's in good shape so it should work for someone. I'll keep the rest of the exhaust just in case. Don't know if I'll use the stock 1275 exhaust manifold, or move to a header, but I'll hold onto the parts either way. Can't have too many parts!

The setup that came on the 1274 looks like the stock manifold. It's probably a bit restrictive I'd guess. I'll worry about that when I get to the engine planning stage.

It's yours, Zimmy. I should get to working on it next week, and I'll get it cut off then.

Drew:

IMHO and from my experiences. I would build a stock 1275, renew all bearings, rings etc. Add a no lead head and keep it all original to save $$$. You will get alot of zing for the buck. Also I agree about the Monza exhaust, run it without the header and a free flow\quiet muffler.

Trust me that a stock 1275 will really move a BE very well, it will be reliable and if you retain some BE subtulties, it will look original to an untrained eye.

If you are interested in a 1275 no smog head, pm me. I have one with new seats, valves and springs that I bought and didn't use. They are hard to come by and it would look better then plugging up the smog ports.

Also, I would keep the 4.22 rear since you live in a hilly region.

Patrick

Patrick--I'll PM you about the head, I'm definitely interested.

Will a stock 948 exhaust pipe and muffler work with the 1275 exhaust manifold? Will the 948 manifold bolt to the 1275? The exhaust pipe on the Bugeye looks pretty new and is in great shape--I'd reuse it if I could. Trying to do the best I can with what I have on hand.

I'm not planning on putting the 3.9 in from the Midget, though I am considering grabbing it for the parts bin just in case. Same goes for the disc front brakes. The drums really stop the Bug just fine, and I'm a pretty reserved driver. Might grab them as well, though it makes the tub a little harder to push around without any suspension!

I am unsure about the 948 manifold on the 1275, but would use 1275, since the exhaust is slightly larger and will have less back pressure.

I would also grab the dual master, in case you do go with discs, although it is not needed for the conversion.

Patrick

No no and no Drew. 1275 system is larger than a 948 all the way from the block but the manifold will bolt up just fine.

Thanks, Jack. That's what I thought. I'll keep the old 1275 exhaust to work as a template for a new one.

I did send you one, about the head you have. I've been out of town (and sick, to boot) so haven't checked in a few days. Wondering what you want for the head, details, etc.