• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

6 cyl Engine Mods

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
I was reviewing my notes as to what I'm going to have done as I teardown/rebuild my 6 cyl and I came across this tip passed onto me: Use MGB rod bearings in place of the TR6 ones - thy're .001" wider and will help with the oil pressure. Has anyone else ever heard or done this? The tip came from someone who races TR6s.

Also, does anyone have any other tips to pass on? I do plan on having the cam journals bored and the rear main cap machined to accept a second thrust washer, but would like to learn any other tips anyone has.

OP
michalotti_tr

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Ouch, that'll leave a mark! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

I already have the books, along with the Roger Williams book. I don't recall seeing the tip I mentioned in any of them, so I was wondering what other 'undocumented' tips might be out there.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
if you go to the FOT (friends of triumph) website and read through the archived discussions, you may find a lot of information. you can't just join, you have to be nominated by someone in the FOT. they are pretty well all racers. i am not a member (just a wanabe). most current and up to date info i have found.
rob

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
Most of the mods on the FOT site are for extreme modifications to production engines. Kas Kastner regularly chimes in and has some real horror stories about TR6 crankshaft harmonics that may not be covered in the book. I just installed a 2.5 litre with lightened flywheel , crane cam and 2" SU's in a TR250 and it drags it around very respectably.

Alan T

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Raymond:

Forgive me if you posted this somewhere before, but what vehicle is the 6 cylinder for? Are you making your TR4A into a TR250 clone?

Thanks ... just being nosy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Matt

OP
michalotti_tr

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Hi Matt,

Yes, I am installing the 6 cylinder into my TR4A. I had seriously considered going with the Toyota engine (actually had one lined up), but when I was offered this engine for $200 I couldn't pass it up. So now I'm just trying to overcome the learning curve on the 6 as I'm tearing it down.

Nosy I don't mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Alan, I'm interested to hear from you how well the 2 inch carbs work, as this would appear to be much simpler than using triple carbs; which is a popular modification.
I have often thought your idea makes sense, butnever come across anyone who had actually tried it.
Please let us know!
Simon.

OP
michalotti_tr

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
Most of the mods on the FOT site are for extreme modifications to production engines. Kas Kastner regularly chimes in and has some real horror stories about TR6 crankshaft harmonics that may not be covered in the book. I just installed a 2.5 litre with lightened flywheel , crane cam and 2" SU's in a TR250 and it drags it around very respectably.

Alan T

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Alan,

If you don't mind my asking, which flywheel and what are the specs on the cam? Camshafts in particular are very confusing to me ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

tr6lover

Jedi Trainee
ray, yes the mg rod bearings will work, that is what im gonna do on my engine the only thing is you need to cut the lock tab a bit for the tr6 rods cause the mg bearings have a wider lock tab. more bearing area with this little trick
Randy

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
I tried to send an image or the 2" SU's but cannot get the file under 200000 bites so I will send an image of the TR250. I will take another pic of the engine compartment when it returns from the paint shop and I can finish 'dialing it in'.

Alan T

Attachments

• 257561-TR250015S.JPG
    257561-TR250015S.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 96
OP
michalotti_tr

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
Raymond,
What are you going to do with your SAH-tuned 4A engine? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif Seems like that would be a pretty hot engine.
Just wondering...

[/ QUOTE ]

(doing horrible Marlon Brando inpersonation) Make me an offer I can't refuse .../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Seriously, I hadn't decided but had told Alan Myers he had first refusal on the SAH engine and o/d tranny if I sold them. Now that you've got me thinking about it, it WOULD clear a decent amount of space in my garage ... and Lord knows I could use the money to get other needed parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

cjm

Jedi Trainee
hi michalotti tr,maybe you know following,still thought i'd try to contribute,line bore crank bearing seats,aswell as cam,use the spitfire(??) cam bearing shells(they fit 2.5although maybe needs checking for your block),polishing rods in selective places,(guide from moss europe)weigh end to end con-rods,pistons should be weighed and matched.de-burring of block,enlarged sump,balancing of rotating assembly,essential.silver good to polish crank,takes forever!hope this is of some help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

OP
michalotti_tr

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
hi michalotti tr,maybe you know following,still thought i'd try to contribute,line bore crank bearing seats,aswell as cam,use the spitfire(??) cam bearing shells(they fit 2.5although maybe needs checking for your block),polishing rods in selective places,(guide from moss europe)weigh end to end con-rods,pistons should be weighed and matched.de-burring of block,enlarged sump,balancing of rotating assembly,essential.silver good to polish crank,takes forever!hope this is of some help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

CJM,

Good advice, I appreciate your covering the basics

OP
michalotti_tr

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
Raymond,
Hmmmm, maybe I could have right of second refusal after Alan? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds fair to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
michalotti_tr

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
Thanks for clearing that up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Once I get the engine build mapped out, I'll get them posted.

Next question: Will a Spitfire front engine plate fit the TR6 block?