• This forum is expressly for posting articles, related in some fashion to British cars (the kind you might submit for a publication). You post an article is the same way that you might post a regular thread, but you understand the article:
    • Must be 500 words minimum
    • Must Include appropriate prefix
    • May include Pictures
    • May be edited or rejected by admin
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Member Articles

This is a repository of Articles, both technical and anecdotal (just for fun). Any member can submit an article but all articles are moderated. The admin of BCF reserves to right to edit content (usually just for spelling/grammar) and has final decision whether to publish or not.

I sort of figured this article would be relevant for this group, even thought he specific car I am working on is an Alfa Romeo. I hope this helps explain how we can do something about those scratches and sand pits that mar our windows. Polishing out window scratches. Our Alfa Romeo Montreal came to us with quite evidence of having been driven to the beach. Often. Lots of sand in various...
Lucas DR3A Two-Speed Wiper-motors Submitted by: ( @allanjohnturner ) The Lucas two-speed variant of the DR3A wiper-motor, as found on Triumph TR4A and other vehicles from the same era, seem to create problems when people try to wire them up. Often this happens when someone tries to use one to upgrade from a single-speed variant. There are a number of things about these motors that are...
Our '60 Bugeye is now amongst the living - and driving!!! As part of the fixing up of the mistakes made in the previous restoration, we installed a T9 5-speed in our bug. Combine that with a Triumph 2/3/4 rear end and, surprise, the speedometer is anything but accurate. OK, I need to pull it and see if I can "adjust" it to read closer to reality, but for now it seems to be off a consistent 10...
I suppose the only thing more certain in this world than Brits loving warm beer (because they have Lucas refrigerators) is that British cars leak oil. As proven by our Bugeye. We bought it with a freshly restored engine. The restorer didn’t think it needed one of those fancy-dancy new rear main oil seals. It didn’t leak: It poured. The restorer even talked up the idea of mounting a catch...
Our bugeye came to us with a Weber 40 DCOE. Never owned a car with Weber’s before, but hey? It started with no choke and ran. What more could one ask? OK – it ran. But it hesitated a bit when I floored it, and what’s up with the starting without needing the choke. And if you do use the choke – wow. Instaflood – and let it sit for a while and try again. And let it sit for a while…. Our bug...
See the attached file for a more comprehensive procedure for rebuilding the Lucas horn as used on the Austin Healey and Jaguar XK120
Over the years I have restored a number of cars, many of them with Lucas wiper systems. Funny, really, even our Pantera uses a Lucas system. In the past I had not noticed that there should be a seal around the wiper arm shaft - just below the knurled knob where the wiper arm clamps (wedges) on. This morning I was cleaning the accumulated grease and gunk from yet another wiper arm mechanim...
Dear Classic Car Friends, My name is Lukas, I am 24 years old and I come from Munich. Classic cars have been inspiring me ever since I put my feet on the pedals. I have decided to turn my hobby into a job. I am currently on this path: I have been doing a research master’s degree at Stellenbosch University SA for a year. My topic is the use of 3D printing to produce spare parts for classic...
This article is written to help identify the connections originating at the two-speed windscreen wiper switch where the colour-coded fabric of the wiring loom has faded beyond all possible identification. The motor is a DR-3, two-speed unit. The switch is a seven terminal,three position (off, low speed, high speed) piece: At the side of the switch are numbers stamped into the metal...