• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What's Up With No TR-2/3 Catalog from TRF?

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
I called TRF today to order a catalog to get started on making a list of the body repair sheet metal I'm going to need, as well as some other parts such as dash knobs, etc. I was told they don't have a catalog other than the Summer Maintenance Book they sent out several months ago. They said to just make a descriptive list of the parts I need, fax it to them and they would fax me part numbers and prices..huh? It's a wonder they get as much business as they do with these older Triumphs using that approach. I guess I'll use the part descriptions from Moss and see what they come up with. Either that or order from someone else (tho I like TRF parts the best). Hmmmmm........

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
They don't. They cater mainly to mid 60s on up. TR4 250 6
and MGB. I called for MGA parts once and was told they don't really handle anything older than "B"s

Palmer

It's really disappointing that TRF doesn't do a better job with TR3s. I also find that their parts are generally well made and I would like to patronize them more than I do. Making matters worse, their web site is almost impossible to use.

G

In defense of The Roadster Factory, they are a cottage industry that does an amazingly good job of maintaining a niche market, the big Triumphs. No, they don't have a lot of 3 parts and got into late model B's only as an afterthought. I made a point of visiting them in person about two years ago and Runyun let me have the run of the place for the day. Have any of you ever been to Armaugh, Pennsylvania? You can't get there from here. And TRF is literally out in the middle of nowhere from there. Their whole thrust is the TR6, followed by the TR4(250). Indeed, the parts that they have manufactured (not that many) are of superior quality to others. They suffer from the same problems as the big boys when dealing with Asian imports. Don't expect too much from TRF and you won't be disappointed. Some of their newer phone sales staff leaves a lot to be desired. If they ever loose Dave or John, they will be just another VickyBrit. In a parts search, I will start with TRF and fan out from there.

Bill

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Mark,

It is a bit of a pain yes... but they use the original Triumph part numbers as the starting point in their database. So if you happen to have an original Triumph parts catalog then you have a Roadster Factory catalog.

In fact the Roadster Factory catalog I got from them way back in '85 or so is just a small copy of the factory parts catalog. Looks kinda like they ran it through a hand-cranked mimeograph machine and stapled it in the middle...

OP
Mark_Gibson

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
I agree with those of you that like TRF. I've spent most of my TR-6 restoration money there, and I can get my hands on the Triumph parts catalog, so I'll try that approach. With the amount of work I have to do on this car, having things backordered for awhile is no big deal.

Thanks,

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi all,

TRF is a good bunch and I really appreciate that they mostly use the original part numbers. Get the factory spares catalog for your car and use it to look up availability on the TRF website! It will at least tell you if they can get it, ignore whether it says the item is in stock or not. That info doesn't seem to be kept up to date at present.

I've always disliked some other vendors use of their own numbering systems. That allows them to substitute or supercede items without telling you in advance. Not always a nice surprise when you open the freshly delivered box! It also makes for difficult price comparison between vendors, which is probably the reason they do it.

TRF quality is generally better, too, as noted. I have seen this very clearly in certain items where I had opportunity to directly compare the same items from TRF, M**s and VB. Some vendors seem to take an attitude "well it's not like these cars are going to be driven very much!" to justify superceding with items that "will do" or providing cheap, low quality reproductions.

If you are doing a major restoration project, consider TRFs club for $100 annual membership, which will earn you discounts and entitle you to certain specials all year.

Also, save up and batch orders to get shipping for free or discounted. It's a bit of a rip that the backordered stuff from TRF does get modest shipping charges tacked on, even when the original order was large enough to qualify for free shipping.

Speaking of back-orders, that's TRF's biggest problem. The worst I had was nearly 5 years! I got a note from them that the item had arrived, but my credit card info was out of date! Thankfully, since I'd bought another item elsewhere and no longer wanted the back-ordered piece.

In fairness, other vendors aren't immune to back-order problems, either! They just don't seem to do it as often. Early this year, I ordered a number of items from TRF and fully 2/3 were back-ordered. Things trickled in here and there for almost 3 months and I had telephone conversations with them over one or two of the more urgent and they really tried to help.

Yes, more and more TR4A-6 are TRF's focus. But, that's really somewhat true of the entire industry. The TR6 saw the highest numbers produced and there are simply far fewer TR4 and earlier cars still on the road. Interesting too that TRF seems to focus best on things specific to the cars Charles owns (i.e., TR5.... But he's been working TR3 or 3A lately, so there is hope!).

None of the major vendors offer a great deal in terms of performance parts. Most US vendors focus on stock items. There is a wider selection of interesting (to me) stuff available in England. I just wish exchange rates, import duties and shipping didn't make it generally impractical to buy from them!

Cheers!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I too,spent a good deal of money on my TR6
with TRF,& like the way they label all of the
little parts,so you don't have to guess where
it goes.
I was a little dissapoited,however,when I finally
ordered a plastic transmission tunnel cover,& found
out that they're were no instructions.I had to call
twice to make sure I was doing it right,as for $100
a pop,I didn't want to do it twice.They didn't seem
very concerned that I was having this problem.
I normally deal with British Parts Nortwest,as
their prices & service are the best I've encountered!

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
I have used TRF for about 17 years using them for a complete tr6 restoration. But sad to say in recent years their prices have gone way up and thier back orders are really bad. It all started about 10 years ago when the owner put more time and money into restoring a british pub--it didnt work out, and the factory has not been the same since. I now divide my buying between all the british car parts suppliers. Mostly using British Parts Northwest.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've been using TRF since they opened and they started out supplying TR-3 parts because Charles Runyon couldn't find them anywhere else. I spent most of my money on my Spitfire with them and they didn't even have an early Spitfire catalogue at that time. Talk about fun!!! I don't know why they have no TR-3 catalgue now, because they used to. They may be waiting to do an undated version.

The last few orders I have placed with them have had backorders. They only had two brake pistons in stock, but put them in the sale catalogue. That's just stupid. They also seemd to be a little haughty when I called to ask why they supplied a part (again on sale) that wasn't for what they said it was for (shifter boot for late model OD trans). Its no longer availabe.

OP
Mark_Gibson

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
I think I'm going to order all my parts thru my friend Mark at British Auto. I have ordered the Triumph TR-2/3 Spare parts catalog and he assures me that if I supply him with the factory part numbers, he can track down 95 percent of what I need, including a complete interior, etc. He doesn't charge me any more than Moss, VB or TRF for the parts, and its one stop shopping. I took my SU-4's and brake/clutch master to him yesterday for a rebuild. He also has probablly 15 or so wrecked TR3A's that I can use for those hard to find little items for the restoration. That really is one stop shopping! Thanks for the inputs...

TR4

Jedi Knight
I would also like to support TRF in that I am involved in their investment program and get a 33% discount on all parts. That has amounted to a substantial savings. I do get to drop by their place to pick up parts while I'm traveling so I also get to verify what I'm getting is in fact what I need. They give me the feeling I have a partner in keeping the TR4 up to snuff and getting a monthly check in the mail makes it all the better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
I have also been using TRF since they opened. While they are not perfect, (who is???) they try harder than anyone else that I deal with in the British car business. The parts that they have made are closer to what came out of the "British National Parts Bin" than most of the make do parts that are available now. They do a lot of research as to what was correct on the cars also.Think the charcoal carpet sets for TR3Bs.I have restored and maintained a 3B for a customer for over 25 years, and there are more accurate parts available now than there were when I first restored the car. I realize that this is an age of instant gratification, but we are talking about parts that are for a car that is around 50 years old, that the parent company went under 20 years ago. We should all be thankful that there are any parts available at all. Be happy that it is only a back order, not a situation where the parts are gone forever. I have a 66 ford anglia, a car that was sold in the small millions of units. There is almost no parts support for that car at all, and almost everything has to come from England. I guess it is a matter of perspective, but in general the LB sports cars seem really well catered to .

OP
Mark_Gibson

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
I can't beat up TRF too badly. I probablly spent 7 or 8K with them on my TR-6 restoration. I think their interior parts by the Magic Carpet Factory in particular are second to none! I'm hoping with some accurate part numbers they can help me with the hard to find items....