• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General MG What is this >

Louis 52MGTD

Country flag
I have not had this MGTD very long, and when I start it, it blows out this black soot on the cardboard, the tail pipe does have a down tip on it. I know the car is running too rich but when I try to lean it out it does not run as well, it only blows this out on the 1st start, it dry's very fast. the prev. owner said it has been doing for some time.

Also when I pull the sparkplugs they are covered with soot but it still runs pretty well even as rich as it's running.
Is this condition going to cause some damage to the engine ? could it be the down spout on the tailpipe ? should I just keep on driving it until I get it tuned up and the carb's adj. ...any advice ? Louis

BTW, the car does not smoke, even on start, and runs pretty good when normal engine temp. is reached.

Attachments

• DSC04651.JPG
    DSC04651.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC04652.JPG
    DSC04652.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 25

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi Lou - congrats on the TD. If the soot at the exhaust is only at startup, I wouldn't worry about it. Do you use the choke when starting? That makes the mixture rich, which causes soot. Choke fully pushed in is normal mixture.

I'd say drive it for 50 miles or so, then look at the plugs again. I'll bet the plug tips don't have the dark dry soot after a good drive. If they do, then the mixture is too rich, and you need to adjust the carbs.

Tom M.