• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Total Eclipse

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Almost max here (max=94% total). Very still and quiet, no clouds, no birds flying, all outdoor surfaces are in a pale yellowish light. Should start returning to normal bright outdoor light in about 20 minutes.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Cloud cover here for totality - but did get to see some of the leading up to. Pictures at 11.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
got to have the gear

1712608077284.png

as mentioned we had a lot of cloud - did get to see this with the naked eye though

1712608094285.png

1712608115511.png

missed totality!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
It did get darker and colder though for sure - though the pics don't really reflect it.

1712608183234.png

1712608195491.png

1712608211777.png

all in all a pretty great day - had my daughter and partner and also another couple who are essentially our kids.

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
WOW was that a weird experience! I expected to be underwhelmed (based on prior partial eclipses) but that was freaky. Even with a cloudy sky. I can certainly understand why our ancestors would have panicked on seeing that.

Even as the sun began to re-emerge, it was eerie... a bright sunny day, but I couldn't feel the heat of the sunlight on me. A wizard could have told me that he had frozen the sun and I'd have believed.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I remember when I was a kid, and first saw a solar eclipse. We gathered around our local deity Muk-Den-Patootie, started a bonfire, sacrificed some animals, ate some strange mushrooms, did some weird dances and yelped some strange incantations. The Eater of the Sun heard us, and eventually let the sun shine again.

Now that I'm grown, I no longer do those weird things. Unfortunately, some of my neighbors still do ...

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I remember when I was a kid, and first saw a solar eclipse. We gathered around our local deity Muk-Den-Patootie, started a bonfire, sacrificed some animals, ate some strange mushrooms, did some weird dances and yelped some strange incantations. The Eater of the Sun heard us, and eventually let the sun shine again.

Now that I'm grown, I no longer do those weird things. Unfortunately, some of my neighbors still do ...
stopped with the mushrooms? good call. :bananawave:

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Total shadow went right over my front steps (only about 20 miles from dead center on the totality path). Had high thin clouds all day with increasing lower cloud cover promising rain - so did not get a great viewing. I was still able to see about 90 seconds of the totality and at least Jupiter, but nothing else thanks to the thin clouds. Missed a good part of the inital covering dure to clouds. but was at least able to see some of the post-total unshadowing before having to start getting ready for work. The lower clouds had started building back in so wouldn't have seen much more anyway...

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Tom. I drove over to Ft. Towson, one of the two original forts in Indian Territory, built in 1824 as a Frontier outpost to watch the US / Mexico border.

Rocky_LC

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Nice pix!

Here’s a couple from Cleveland….

Attachments

• 9D33B87B-7804-4D39-B8FB-9FCB901955C3.jpeg
    9D33B87B-7804-4D39-B8FB-9FCB901955C3.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 4D0F4BCA-634C-45A4-AD1C-C4DC5E1DAB56.jpeg
    4D0F4BCA-634C-45A4-AD1C-C4DC5E1DAB56.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 84192773-C30D-4118-A652-513043CF9E9B.jpeg
    84192773-C30D-4118-A652-513043CF9E9B.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 7885EE94-C019-40BF-93FC-A1F0DC1BB945.jpeg
    7885EE94-C019-40BF-93FC-A1F0DC1BB945.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 9

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Nice pix!

Here’s a couple from Cleveland….
I've many relatives "up there" and hoped for some pics. No such luck. Slackers!!

Country flag
Had to chuckle a bit watching the local news yesterday, they interviewed a couple who had a baby and were excited to be able to tell the new little boy, when he was older, how he was born during an eclipse. Only problem was, according to the story he was born before sunup that morning rather than the just after 3pm it actually occurred here. So born on an eclipse day, but not during an eclipse...