• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Today my day was made!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
New old top for the TD arrived and I slapped it on (temp). Old raggetty parts my buns. A fellow member was nice enough to send it to me - Zahnej a fellow TD owner. An old top like this is perfect for an old girl like Gloria. I only need a few more old parts to make her a complete car again. Old stuff suits the car so well. Did I say old enough?

Many /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif

8-08-074-NewOldTop004.jpg

ronzi

They're not just old parts, they have "patina", a quality much appreciated by antique furniture collectors, so why not cars, too?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's an interesting top, no rear side curtain!

zahnej

Hey Vince,

Just saw the post. Man I'm glad that top is going to work out for you. Kind of a shame to pitch it. Happy I could help!

Ed

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Again thanks. Not too concerned about it not having the rear side curtain open. The car did not come with a top. All if the fasteners & bars were there but the covering just has little pieces. To buy a new top & put it on a car would look silly with everything else having a patina. So I started asking people if they had used parts to donate.

Next on the list are Tonneau, Boot cover, Air cleaner assembly, license plate light, 1 small license bracket, 1 side curtain knob, Yankee 120 turn signals (aftermarket), Dash guage panel. Gotta think if there is anything else. Patina and a few scratches are fine.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
As I finish mine, I'll inventory all the used parts I have left over....bet I've got most everything on your list!

Country flag
Speaking of patina, etc.; I saw an article in a magazine recently (do not remember which one) which featured an original small block Cobra in as is condition. Yes it was scratched and dinged here and there but it is as it was from the day it was made - with the exception of a color change many years ago. The article was interesting in that it said the trend at the moment is to leave cars alone as much as possible, flaws and all because a car is only original once. Obviously safety concerns must be corrected but cosmetic issues are overlooked in the interest of originality. Preservation vs restoration, an intriguing concept. Trailer queens are beautiful but an original car in all it's splendor and patina has a story to tell.....what do you all think?

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
That is exactly the car I am "creating". This is what I mean by creating. There were few parts missing and to buy new just would not do. Sure it would be easier and all but how odd would that look. The car was about 99% complete and to restore would really kill the beauty of the original car. So I decided to collect parts that were basically useless to people after their restoration. I have recieved parts from all over the country from people I have met online and they have been more than happy to send them to me for free or cost of shipping. I have even recieved a pair of mounting screws from the Netherlands that hold the starter button in place. The guy only wanted a pint o' beer if we ever meet here in the states. Quiet frankly I've been moved at the help I have been given with this car. The PO is a very elderly woman in California. I would really like to get it cleaned up soon and get all of the new parts I purchased on it to drive it, take pictures & video and send it to her in Cali for her to see it on road once again. She is not doing too well so I feel I must do this asap. Every time I do I have to stop and try and find a part here and there. Other than these few things, I'm about there. The only new parts I have are the saftey things like hoses bushings and such that were still there after 55 years but would not be a good idea to drive with. As soon as school starts up again and the kids are on a regular schedule I can focus in on it. Getting the 74 B did it help either but it was just something that happened.

Tony I appreciate you keeping me in mind when the day comes that you are finished and parts become available.

ED - I have the dash but it is not the original dash. I have fabricated a new panel but am looking to two things. The gauge surround which is Bronze painted with chroms surround and holds all the gauges in place and the Green Rexine covering. Rexine in the original material used to cover the dashboard. All TD dash's were covered and Veneer ones were aftermarket.

To all - If you know of anyone who has some cruddy old parts for a TD, pass along my info before these parts are tossed. Even if I have it, I'll take more in case the ones I have break or what have you. I would still like to keep it as original as possible.

I gotta figure out a way to create a "Save the TD" website.
V

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Some of my cars are kept original with all their patina, some repaired, a few restored, but only one restored to 'trailer queen' status!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And what a beauty it is going to be.

All see the TC, trailer queen (almost) going for 17.5 or so on eBay right now? Makes my heart jump.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Agreed but also see the side of the people who want Trailer queens. I personally always wanted a perfect car until I purchased a Harley about 3 years ago. The guy I purchased it from bought it new and spent more than double what he bought the bike for, chroming it out and upgrading things on it. It's a 2000 Softail and when I bought it - Dirt cheap because he was broke, it had 5000 miles on it. He did not really drive it much casue he always cleaned and worked on it. When I got it it was showroom perfect. He went so far as to have it detailed, changed the oil & brakes pads and added a Chrome air cleaner, the day before I picked it up which was three days after I won the auction on eBay. During the first year I kept it as clean as possible but I used it. I'll tell you it is way too much work to keep something clean and neat if you want to use it. I'd bet it is tough enough to keep it clean, covered in a garage or trailering it around. At this time of my life as anal as I am, perfection is tough. Maybe later on in life, but for now, too much to do, too many places to go, to many things/people to see. Dings & scratches here and there do not bother me as much as they used to.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
vping said:
Dings & scratches here and there do not bother me as much as they used to.

Time was, I wouldn't drive it if it wasn't straight n' shiny, all proper and clean. Now I drive 'em 'til they won't go anymore then fix 'em and go some more...
my standards have slipped completely. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]trailer queen [/QUOTE]

Maybe we need to define that term......my 'trailer queen' will be trailered to shows, live in my garage & occassionally take short, slow drives around the neighborhood or local area to club meetings, etc....she won't be put on the open road on trips or used as a daily driver.

When I think 'trailer queen', I think of a car that resides in an enclosed trailer & only sees sunlight when its rolled out at a show....there's an MGB like that on the southern show circuit (at least there was a couple of years ago) & I think the highest he ever got was 2nd place because the rest of us with cars in shows never really voted for him - he wouldn't ever fire up the engine!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Beep beep, here comes Miss Agatha. Rides on her own open trailer, lives under cover.

My greatest joy is second gear and the go pedel all the way down in a curve or turn.

Miss Agatha seems to like it as well, she seems always ready for a bit more.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Speaking of patina...

As you all know, I have a frame off 57 MGA that is nearly finished and a 66 B driver in dire need....

Based upon what I am reading, maybe I should be satisfied with a pristine MGA and merely rebuild the tired engine in my B and keep the well worn (out) patina with all of its faults and panel rust alone rather than doing a frame off???

I am tempted to RESTORE the B, but it do have a history, and it shows...

I always get a comment, a wave , and a 'cool car Mister' when I drive the B. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

What cha' thimk?? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

By the way vping ... 'Cool car Mister' /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've always driven the cars I own. That's what they were designed for, IMO. In years past it was more important to me they were "good" examples with no obvious flaws. I've come to a point where I just want to DRIVE 'em. If they're mechanically sound but suffer some "road film" or suchlike, well... they are still driveable.

And whom ever judges 'em by how shiny or dented, rusty or dull is likely of no consequence anyhoo. The chap who stops and says: "I ain't seen one'a them onna road in DECADES!" is the one I'd doff me 'at to. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Take out rust and dents and drive.

wdp

Vping, showed the picture of your TD to my wife and she says
" How'd you get a picture of my TD on the internet?"
We have the twin to your car in the garage, though your patina might be slightly more than on hers! I agree fix the broken stuff and bad body areas and drive it.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice... As soon as my A is finished, as if that will ever happen, I'll fix the rust, paint, rebuild the engine and have a great B to drive when I am so inclined. I'll only drive the fully restored A on very clear days and to the club outings... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif