• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The "other" Humber

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Just came across a neat old Humber bicycle at an estate sale today, I'd guess it's a 1940's bike...

29822566_909f9ed83d.jpg

29822565_bebe075114.jpg

29822564_9fd48313d9.jpg

29822563_764692133e.jpg

(showing it's pedigree in this picture)

Anyone know anything about old Humber bicycles?

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Neat bicycle! I suspect that this, like most other "English" bicycles such as Triumph, Rollfast, Sunbeam, etc., etc., was made by Raleigh. Did you get a close look at the Sturmey-Archer rear hub? In typical British fashion, there should be a date code on it that would likely pin down the vintage...something like 9 49 to indicate September 1949.

Oh, and did you buy it, I hope? :smile:

In addition to far too many Triumph cars, I have two Triumph bicyles, one Rollfast, and one Raleigh Sprite with the rare five-speed hub. Yes, I am nuts. :smile:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
James,

I don't know alot about old bicycles, but a guy I used to know in college is very keen on British bicycles. If you're ever interested in learning more about them I can put you in touch with him.

Steve_S

Yoda
That thing is in great shape! I've restored a few vintage bikes in my past.

THe other day I was in a fellow TC owner's garage. He had an amazing collection of vintage bicycles including an old aerocycle in mint condition. The six bikes I saw (the rest where elsewhere) were worth as much as my car. Lucky guy!

OP
Sherlock

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Unfortunately didn't buy the bike, probably don't have the money for it right now...

Did buy this neat old Bakelite desk lamp though...

29782259_f5ab911f66.jpg

Probably 1930's/1940's, got a good deal on it - $20 - and it works fine, just going to install a new power cord for safety sake.