• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire spit6

dklawson

Yoda
Welcome. My Spitfire is also a '72 and it's a project not currently on the road.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Has anyone ever done a GT4+ ? The reverse of a Spit6. Seems it would be better balanced without that big lump under the hood and stop really well with the large brakes carrying less weight. Bob

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
But we LIKE big lumps under the hood! :yesnod:

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Bob Claffie said:
Has anyone ever done a GT4+ ? The reverse of a Spit6. Seems it would be better balanced without that big lump under the hood and stop really well with the large brakes carrying less weight. Bob
Actually, yes. There's a guy by the name of Robert Totten in eastern Massahchusetts who has made essentially a Le Mans Spitfire replica.

You can see a photo or two, and a description, here.

OP

72spit6

i love the big lump under the hood and with no roof on stop makes it even better the coupe is fun but not fun enough to put a 4 in when if you want a real rood with a four just throw on the hard top

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Has anybody tried a miata drive line in the Spitfire? it would seem like a good match for the chassis....it was designed for dual Webers,and makes 150 hp in this form.....
MD

OP

72spit6

there is actually a guy that lives a couple miles from me that i met at a show a year ago that did that. he said the only problem with it was high way speeds the front got a little light since the miata set up is actually lighter than the spitfire set up.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
how does the 6 compare in external size to the 4? Is this something you could put in a Midget 1500?

swift6

Yoda
There is barely room in the midget for the 1500. Your best bet for more than 4 cylinders in any of the spridgets is to go for a "V" configuration. I know a guy that is building a frankenstein midget with a Ford V6. It seems fairly interesting, but I'm not sure I would want to drive it.

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My long time mechanic friend has a 1961 midget with an Olds 315 V8 stuffed in it, and except for the fifty series rubber on all four corners it looks like any other LBC. Until you fire it up! The exhaust was all custom, and the Ford rear end was cut down to about as narrow as you can get. First and second are like new because you can melt the rear tires down starting out in third. He calls it his "Chinese" car.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
I gotta go find the picture, but last year at Carlisle there was a fella with a midget with a Jag OH cam 6 in it.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My neighbor in the 70's use to talk about the Jag V-12 they stuck in a Spridget in the NE somewhere. Fuzzy memory

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Read a thread the other night written by a guy putting a Miata in a MK2 or 3 Spitfire. Total nightmare as the Miata engine is much taller than the Spit and the gearbox is wider. Lots of custom fab incl motor mounts trany mount driveshaft, cooling, exhaust, instruments, heater etc. etc. Basically, why bother ? Bob

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
Sure looks like it. Driving lights, red stripes, lotsa chrome and/or polished aluminum. Sounded sweet, but I can't but imagine that it would be a foul beast to drive in anything but a straight line with the car trying to turn around and see who's driving.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I can't believe no one saw this car in the March 2008 edition of Classic Motorsports Magazine. There is an article that covers the whole upgrade.