• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

smokes after idling

• Thread starter Deleted member 9684
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9684

im very new to these cars, so please bear with me. i'm a boat guy and have been running 1200+ hp boats for 20 years...

my 61 bugeye with a judson supercharged 948 idles like a dream - even after sitting for 20 years. it will just sit there and run at 400 rpms all day long if you let it. the only problem is that it appears to "load up" after sitting at idle for a few minutes and then get on the gas... lots of smoke and sputtering...but then it clears up after a few revs.

is this normal?

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
Judson’s are not like the blowers on your boats, they have to be lubricated. Judson design their systems to be lubricated with a Marvel Mystery oil canister which drips oil by the engine vacuum into the intake manifold through a rubber tube. What is occurring is the oil is accumulating into the manifold instead of lubing the rotor vanes. The Judson has phenolic vanes rubbing the blower housing, if the engine is idling to low it will have a greater tendency for the oil to pool in the bottom of the blower. I would recommend idling the engine up from 400 rpm’s to be around 900 rpm’s which will help some. You’ll need to re-adjust your drip dial on the top of the Marvel Mystery tank to finding the right combination for your engine.