• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

rotors cross drilled\slotted

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
Did anybody convert and notice a significant benefit? If so cross drilled, Slotted, both and or braided lines?

I've been told that braided lines makes for a stiffer pedal. I'm thinking of adding those here in a while.

Can't say for the rotors though.

Joel

Cross drilled or slotted rotors are a total waste of money. Unless you just want them for the bling factor, don't bother. I don't need them on the race cars, and they certainly aren't required for the street. If the rotors are truly cross "Drilled", and not cast with the holes in them, there can be stress risers in the metal that can, and will, lead to cracks, and eventual rotor failure. I run a Sprite hard in the mountain twisties of Northern California, and the stock rotors work just fine. I upgraded the pads and shoes, but the drums and rotors are stock.
Braided hoses, on the other hand, are a worthwhile addition. They won't expand under pressure, as a rubber hose may, and they won't deteriorate from within.
Jeff

This is from a guy who drills rotors to make a side buck.
I buy them for about $20 each, I have a jig set up in my garage and drill holes in them. I can sell them for $50 each and it takes me 5 minutes each to drill.
I'll keep drilling them as long as people keep buying them.
I asked him if they helped cool the brakes. He told me yes at Formula 1 race speeds. But on your little put put, I just made a cool $60 for 10 minutes of my time.

I made the swap about a year ago, didnt notice any major cooling effect, but does stop a little better in rain.

Joel, it seems as though I've been either working or sleeping lately. Usually at different times!
That, and fighting computer problems.
Jeff

Our Club does not allow drilled/slotted rotors on Time Trials cars used at our track days. We've seen too many failures.
Race cars with true, cast-in holes are OK.

I'm using solid Brembo rotors. They are fine.
The biggest problem I've had with Spridget brakes is getting oil on the rear shoes. I've tried all sorts of Band-Aid solutions.....still sorting this out.

actually cross-drilled rotors do nothing for cooling. The original need for cross-drilling was to give a place for the massive amounts of brake dust created by old school pads to go. The dust would build up under the pad and it would stop working.
Todays pads don't produce near enough dust to need those holes.
The slots on the other hand(if done right) can help cooling. But ya gotta be going really fast(bout ahunderd) and slamming on the brake a whole bunch(slowin hard from ahunderd bout every minute or so for a while) to make it needed.

I swapped to the brembo cross drilled/slotted some time ago. Unfortunately I did alot of brake work all at the same time so of course the end result was my braking was greatly improved but how much of that can be attributed to what component is anyone's guess. In all honesty, I must admit that I bought them more for the "bench racing/brag" factor than improved braking. I would say that on these little cars, your braking ability is more closely related to the quality of your tires than your brake components. Your pads can grip the rotors as hard as you want but if the tires don't grip the road, it is all for not.

JACK

In the Mini world, the tiny stock rotors under 10" rims are solid parts. These rotors have a reputation for wearing out prematurely. It's not uncommon to slot the rotors but I'm not sure the method is the same as used on Spridgets. Two slots are milled across the rotor, parallel to each other and about half-way from the hub to the OD of the rotor. The reasons given for this were to clear the brake dust and road debris off the pads, not for improved cooling. This probably has no bearing on what's effective on Spridgets but it is reported to improve pad life on Minis.

About a year ago I was working on a vintage Midget race car and one of the things I was doing for the customer was switching him over to a big front brake package ( Spitfire rotors/MGB calipers). I was taking off standard Midget rotors that were drilled and slotted that he had been using. While I saw no adverse conditions in the slots, almost every drilled hole had cracks coming from it.