• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Query: what's the best clutch kit - mild race?

DreamCatcher

Freshman Member
I need to know the opinion of you all regarding the best street mid to high HP clutch kit. Most important thing is that it must be alot stiffer than stock yet not require 2387623874632 lbs of pressure to disengage it. It has to hold ~200+ ponies.

Thanks for your insights,
D

Indeed, more info please.
Sounds wicked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Heh yah not yet but working on it. Hi-flow supercharger and matching cam, extensive headwork, headers, 1.69/1.5 Rimflo valves 1.625 rockers and 10.5:1 forged slugs & rods. Bored to 1950cc (83.5 mm bore) Water injection and knock sensor/ignition retarder.(pinging is bad and Im running way to high compression usually to supercharge, but its a play/track car so racing gas will be used exclusively) I want to build it AS IF it had 200 ponies up front .. we will see how close I get. I bet it wont be far off.
-D

Hey Bruce, go up to the Healey forum and look at the VIR pictures you will see an OFFY V8 powered MG and its way over 200HP---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

You probably already know this, but the clutch disk itself probably won't be the weak link; you need a HD pressure plate.

Also, the HP figure is largely irrelevant, it's the torque figure that you need to be concerned with.

If you haven't already, check your local speed shop for advice.

[ QUOTE ]

Hey Bruce, go up to the Healey forum and look at the VIR pictures you will see an OFFY V8 powered MG and its way over 200HP---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, thanks...I just happened to see that yesterday...pretty cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But I don't think it has an MGB clutch in it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

200HP is possible - this picture is the dyno of my SC MGB in 1964. (Picture courtesy of Dave Munroe)

I agree with Scott, it's the torque. Having said that I think you want something less than a full race clutch; they are so sudden that a lot more shock is transferred to the gearbox and diff. Also, of course, not practical for standing starts on uphill roads etc.
I have heard good reports of "Bully" clutches, a friend with a track day car likes his, but not sure if they make one for your "B", someone more knowledgeable about MGBs will have to help you beyond that.
I like the relaxed photo of MGAdams standing next to the motor at full scream, I always stay out of line of things like fan blades, scares me to death!
Simon.

The supercharged crossflow used a conventional clutch and when I pulled the engine transmission it looked fine. But it is a race car and would be replaced every season anyway. The relaxed James Dean looking fellow in the picture is not me ... it is the original mechanic Mike Holden.