• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Paint Job Cost

D

Deleted member 19315

Looks lovely. Hope mine is that good when it comes back in 2 or 3 weeks. I noticed your screen pillars are alloy finished. Mine were body colour (black) I wonder what they were originally. I really like the alloy look.

Country flag
Looks lovely. Hope mine is that good when it comes back in 2 or 3 weeks. I noticed your screen pillars are alloy finished. Mine were body colour (black) I wonder what they were originally. I really like the alloy look.
Originally body colored, but mine are alloy too, and I prefer the look__keeps it "lighter" looking. I mean look, all the BJ7 & 8s were chrome (were the 100s plain aluminum as well?).

Eighteen Hundred Dollars ($1800.00) typically won't cover the cost of materials__well, barely, depending on pigments (yellows & reds being most expensive) plus assorted abrasives, compounds/polishes, not to mention exotic primers, sealers, solvents, catalysts, etc., etc., so yes, a smoking deal! And, it looks great from here ;) Just keep the car in motion, only dipping under 45 mph when unavoidable, and people will see (and hear) one of the most visually appealing cars ever produced!

OP
CessnaTPA

CessnaTPA

Jedi Hopeful
Originally body colored, but mine are alloy too, and I prefer the look__keeps it "lighter" looking. I mean look, all the BJ7 & 8s were chrome (were the 100s plain aluminum as well?).

Eighteen Hundred Dollars ($1800.00) typically won't cover the cost of materials__well, barely, depending on pigments (yellows & reds being most expensive) plus assorted abrasives, compounds/polishes, not to mention exotic primers, sealers, solvents, catalysts, etc., etc., so yes, a smoking deal! And, it looks great from here ;) Just keep the car in motion, only dipping under 45 mph when unavoidable, and people will see (and hear) one of the most visually appealing cars ever produced!

The windshield screen pillars are painted, the angle and sun changed the look.
The paint is from PPG and he claimed it was good quality (what else would he say) as for primers and fillers I don't know what he used.
Originally I had no intention of getting the car painted, the trunk was faded but the rest still had some shine to it. But over the past few years I got the bug of restoring my wife's car (3 years married) and she was pushing to get it repainted. I figured I'd get a quote of 5k+ and hush her up. But was pleasantly surprised when I heard $1800 and went for it.
In no way do I think I got a 5k+ paint job, I know the old saying you get what you pay for. It's much improved from what it was and fit the budget I was willing to spend. IMO looks great for the "daily driver" that it is and the wife is super happy I've gotten her car of 20+ years finally road worthy and looking respectable.

CraigC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

The windshield pillar on the 100 was body color. The fixed base and "connecting link" which were chromed.

D

Deleted member 19315

I got carried away and sanded back part one of my pillars in anticipation of blasting and polishing. Needs re painting. The cast alloy is too poor to get the finish I want. It's either suffered corrosion on the past or is a very porous casting. Never mind it was worth a look. They look nice body colour too.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I figure when I have painted the last two cars that my costs minus labor is about $1000 each. That is sandpaper polishing stuff, filler, paint, etc.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
This was $7,500. It was delivered in pieces and reassembled by me in my shop. PJ
View attachment 48371

BBH

Country flag
I got carried away and sanded back part one of my pillars in anticipation of blasting and polishing. Needs re painting. The cast alloy is too poor to get the finish I want. It's either suffered corrosion on the past or is a very porous casting. Never mind it was worth a look. They look nice body colour too.

Couldn't you paint it in alloy colour to mimic the polished bare metal?

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That Aston Martin colour is excellent, that is almost exactly what i expect Healey Blue to look like. I also think the paint job is very good and appropriate for a car of the era. i don't like these expensive paint jobs as it makes the cars look over restored and unnatural.

Charles M

Freshman Member
Country flag
Well after 6 weeks in the paint shop I finally got my car back and the exterior put back together. Overall I'm very pleased and it looks awesome in the sunlight 10 ft away. But will admit under a fluorescent light looking up close you can see some flaws in the paint, but they are minor and you really have to be looking for them. For $1800 I guess can't expect it to be show car flawless.

I told the shop to paint it the same color blue and let them determine the paint codes. The shade of blue looks great but after reading the label off the left over paint can it reads Aston Martin Islay Blue. Likely when they ordered the paint they got Austin and Aston confused, I'm guilty of it myself in the past. If I had never seen the paint label I would have never known the difference since it looks like Healey Blue to me.

Now onto redoing the seats and panels.
Where did you get the paint job done? I'm looking to get my 1959 Austin Healey 100-6 painted.

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well after 6 weeks in the paint shop I finally got my car back and the exterior put back together. Overall I'm very pleased and it looks awesome in the sunlight 10 ft away. But will admit under a fluorescent light looking up close you can see some flaws in the paint, but they are minor and you really have to be looking for them. For $1800 I guess can't expect it to be show car flawless.

I told the shop to paint it the same color blue and let them determine the paint codes. The shade of blue looks great but after reading the label off the left over paint can it reads Aston Martin Islay Blue. Likely when they ordered the paint they got Austin and Aston confused, I'm guilty of it myself in the past. If I had never seen the paint label I would have never known the difference since it looks like Healey Blue to me.

Now onto redoing the seats and panels.
Under fluorescent lights, only top quality paint jobs will look good... IMHO. I had a really nice looking '67 Corvette back in the day that looked fabulous outside and absolutely terrible under the fluorescent lights in my garage. I'd say for $1,800 you got a great deal.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Under fluorescent lights, only top quality paint jobs will look good... IMHO. I had a really nice looking '67 Corvette back in the day that looked fabulous outside and absolutely terrible under the fluorescent lights in my garage. I'd say for $1,800 you got a great deal.
$1800.00 is a gift in my book.