• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA MGA Basket Case Value?

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Friend of mine is looking at a basket case, any approximate idea of value?,
Its a 1500 appears as though in the past it was pulled apart with a complete resto in mind, all appears to be there, and all appears in need of panel/paint and new brightworks needed
Comments appreciated

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
That really depends a lot on the condition of the frame and body and if all the parts are still there. It's all to easy to lose parts from a disassembled project and they can really run up the cost to replace on a MGA. If everything is there including the remains of the seats and upholsery and the body isn't badly rusted out then from what I've seen for sale it might be worth from 3 to 5K. If the nose is bent up as many are and the sills are gone then drop down a grand or two.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've rebuilt a couple of cars that I bought disassembled - never again! There's gonna be lots of small stuff that's missing, guaranteed...& most probably nothing is marked or was kept together in boxes or zip lock bags....disassembled cars aren't worth much to me...MGA's are rather expensive even in rough condition..but, disassembled, I would think $1,000 would be tops unless you're planning on parting it out instead of restoring...then, I might go a bit higher - but not much.

emmett1010

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello:
I gave $1200 for a 57 tr3 in cardboard boxes for 15 years.
The po was going to part it out on ebay, and I just couldn't let that happen!
I now have $11,000+ and I've not yet had it painted.
Many small semi-expensive pieces just weren't there. The engine had three pistons with three rings, and one four ring piston.
You just don't know what you're getting into.
If you buy it, buy it cheap!

Emmett

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Such a subjective question!

For me, it's a hobby. It's not that cost isn't important; rather, it's a matter of "Do I want this bad enough?" And then, "Am I willing to put untold dollars into it?"

I understand economics, but hobbies - indeed, passions! - don't have much to do with economics, do they?

I bought the TR3 for $3900. It was barely running and needed a complete restoration, which I did. I have NO idea how much I had in it, but can assure you that, after the experience of restoring it and then enjoying the fruits of all that, I got WAY more out of it than the loss on paper when I sold it.

You'll never hear me brag about how much I cleared on a car. On paper, it's a losing proposition. But then, aren't all hobbies?

But then, I'm weird that way! :wink:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Mickey Richaud said:
Such a subjective question!

For me, it's a hobby. It's not that cost isn't important; rather, it's a matter of "Do I want this bad enough?" And then, "Am I willing to put untold dollars into it?"

I understand economics, but hobbies - indeed, passions! - don't have much to do with economics, do they?

I bought the TR3 for $3900. It was barely running and needed a complete restoration, which I did. I have NO idea how much I had in it, but can assure you that, after the experience of restoring it and then enjoying the fruits of all that, I got WAY more out of it than the loss on paper when I sold it.

You'll never hear me brag about how much I cleared on a car. On paper, it's a losing proposition. But then, aren't all hobbies?

But then, I'm weird that way! :wink:
Nope, just normal in my world, Mick......actually, I never keep up with the costs of my cars after I purchase them...but, the purchase cost itself is important...I don't like paying for somebody else's labor because, invariably, I'm gonna redo everything they did.

I looked at a "project" MGA Coupe yesterday.

Wrong engine, wrong diff, a LOT of rust, including the frame, no glass except the door glass...etc, etc, etc.

Asking price was $1200.

I passed.

Same owner had a '57 roadster..asking price was $3200. Needed a LOT of work and re-assembly.

I passed.

He also had four MGBs for sale. It was too dark in the corner of the shop to even guess as to their condition.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I agree with the guys who have put the price on the lower end of the scale. If it has some rust and who knows how complete I am thinking in the 1K range, depending on what you are getting condition of parts, etc. I passed on a pretty much complete but rusty and apart TR3 a couple years ago I could have had for $500.

If it is truly rust free and lots of new or nice parts or documented rebuilds of motor and transmission (and you know and trust the seller or rebuilder) then maybe the price goes up.

As stated as well, all about what you want, but in boxes wouldn't give a lot for it.

terriphill

Darth Vader
We actually bought a 280Z once that came in about 15 boxes. Good shell and we got lucky that its only real mechanical issue was the fuel pump. However, like the others have said...you will find LOTS of missing parts. Ours was a Z car where we could replace many of the little bits like the glove box latch and trim from cars that we found in the local U-Pull it. A MGA is going to be another whole can of worms and you aren't likely to find a donor in any junk yard. You are going to find that those little missing bits and pieces add up fast when they are $10 here and $50 there.