• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Log-Sheet For Renovation Project

Triumph_TR4_Girl

Freshman Member
Finally my 1963 Triumph TR4 arrives in 101 pieces all the way from Perth to Sydney tomorrow.

Does anyone have an example of a restoration log-sheet that they can email me, as ideally I want to record every $$$ that I spend to get this car up and running in 3-4 months (hopefully!!). Probably easy to create but ideal if someone has already designed one I can use. Thanks :eek:

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Welcome and good luck with the project. All I used was a "3 ring" binder - in the US we can buy plastic sheet inserts, so all receipts are kept inside a plastic sleeve and organized in the binder by date. As for the rest of it, lots and lots of pictures. Digital is cheap.

Like me, you have a particularly difficult challenge because you do not have the luxury of having taken the car apart - you will be doing a lot of "what the heck is this and where could it possibly go?" Along with "how the heck does that go back together?"

Tip #1: if you plan to buy new parts along the way don't throw out any old parts out until you are 100%, no 150% sure, that you won't need them to compare the new part to and have the new part installed.
Tip #2 - lean on this board for advice. It was invaluable for me.

FYI, a thread of my build:
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf...-now-join-in-progress&highlight=join+progress

Good luck

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here's something you should consider carefully: DON'T START A LOG.

Over 6 years ago, I started a simple excel sheet with every penny I've spent on my TR3 restoration, that I thought would take a few months. The car was free and together, but in many ways, not together properly. I also started a log with a single line entry of each day I worked on the car. I have logged 431 'days' and nearly $20,000.00. The body is finally wearing primer and I think I have everything to get it finished. -Everything but paint and the spent time.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it exactly the same way -except without the excel sheet. -it's just hard to look at.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
I agree with Jerry. A log sheet would have driven me to drink. I could tote up all of my reciepts, but I really don't want to know. I have no idea how much time I have in the car and I don't care. It is a hobby and most of all I enjoy doing the work and I put more time in than a professional would. Some one told me one day that I am a hobbyist and not a professional mechanic. Today was a good example. I was having trouble getting the seat upholstery to look right, Driver's seat. I finally broke down and took it to a professional (one of the few in this small town) he tried several things and he finally turned to me and said "I hate to tell you this, but in order for this to look right we have to start all over again". The time I have in that part of the re-build is lost and if I knew how much time I had "logged" on it would give me a fit. I don't know so I don't fret over the lost hours. So enjoy the re-build, don't set unrealistic goals and remember that it is a hobby and you are the hobbyist!

Good luck, Tinkerman

OP
Triumph_TR4_Girl

Triumph_TR4_Girl

Freshman Member
Here's something you should consider carefully: DON'T START A LOG.

Over 6 years ago, I started a simple excel sheet with every penny I've spent on my TR3 restoration, that I thought would take a few months. The car was free and together, but in many ways, not together properly. I also started a log with a single line entry of each day I worked on the car. I have logged 431 'days' and nearly $20,000.00. The body is finally wearing primer and I think I have everything to get it finished. -Everything but paint and the spent time.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it exactly the same way -except without the excel sheet. -it's just hard to look at.

Maybe its a 'woman thing' that we want to log everything :eek: and see that a car can cost more than my current wardrobe!!! Very useful points all to be noted though. As my partner is the man behind the restoration and the commencement of his hobby turned into a business, I'd like to see realistically if this is a profitable business out there for him.

OP
Triumph_TR4_Girl

Triumph_TR4_Girl

Freshman Member
Thanks guys......if a log-sheet is going to turn me to drink and probably insane, then I'll just take the easier step and ignore how long it takes and not nag my partner 24/7 when its still not finished after 4months!!!!

I am sure I will be faced with my challenges and at times the reality that those new shoes I want to buy will be put on hold as car parts are needed more. As my partner said to me yesterday, "You purchased a stylish hat to wear in your car that you haven't even started restoring, I started making a list of car parts you'll need".

Rather than Facebook I am sure I'll be logging onto this great from with my updates, questions and frustrations :rolleye:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Definitely keep a diary - to later remind yourself never to undertake such a project again. I restored a tatty 1952 MG TD back in 1973 & spent over 600 hours on it, mostly on a cold garage floor until the wee hours of the morning. My neighbor said he never heard such combinations of curse words in his life. But - I paid $1,100.00 for the car, did most of the work myself except for the cylinder head and the painting, can't recall what I spent but I sold the car for $10,000.00. A month later, the guy I sold it to called to say he blew the rod bearings. TS, Eliot. Bottom line - I lost the diary when I moved to my present home in 1982.

ArcticOne

To have or not have a log sheet or diary is a personal choice. I would want one. My memory is not good enough to remember everything that I have done to my cars.

And as a purchaser of used cars, I wished that the previous owners had also kept a log - much easier to try and figure out what they have done that I must now try and maintain or sort out.

jb

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
After re-reading the replies to the thread I would like to add one more thought. I do stand by my previous comments by the way. I am a big time maker of "TO DO" lists. I find them invaluable for not forgetting or leaving out steps. Not perfect however. Always depends on operator error, heh. Lists gives me a chance to stay on track. I have a bad habit of not finishing what I set out to do, sigh. When I'm using a list I always cross out the previous, or finished entries. It gives me a feeling of accomplishment and getting to the light at the end of the tunnel. I keep all of my lists so that some day I can look back at what was done to the car. It might also help the next owner. Anyhow good luck and enjoy.

Cheers, Dick

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
I spent a whole lot of time on E-Bay and the internet trying to find the parts I knew I would need when I decided to take the plunge and take my car apart.......about three years. I made a simple column sheet that had ALL my major suppliers. ... E-bay, TRF and Moss, and "other". I logged most everything I purchased and am glad I did, but it does get a little scary when you total it. As many have said before, buy the absolute very best car you can afford and already put together in most ways............you will save $$ in the long run. That being said, you will also lose lot's of the fun in "doing", but don't plan on saving lots of money by doing so.