• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lift for the Garage

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Well, I've been looking at different lifts for my garage and finally settled on one. It'll arrive next week.

I would have like a full height lift, but I'm a bit pressed for room, and in order to take advantage of the full height, I would have had to take down the two lofts on each end of the garage and make it so the garage door went more straight up when opened rather then making the usual turn at about seven feet. I would have missed the lofts, and it would have forced me to buy a backyard shed.

The center section access is not great, but my days of clutch and tranny jobs at the house are over...except maybe for the TR3, but that comes out through the top anyway.

I just got tired of messing with the jacks and jack stands just to do simple maintenance jobs on the cars.

My anniversary is coming up tomorrow, so I called my wife this morning and told her what I planned to buy us for it...Aren't the 37th wedding anniversary gifts car lifts and tool boxes?? :laugh: She's a keeper, she said "go for it!" :cheers:

I bought one like that about 5 years ago. Won't do any work without it. For the TR3 you will want to build ramps for the sides to use to pull over it. Mine is a little wide for the TR3 track but otherwise love it. Thinking about buying another one. Makes brake work a whole lot easier.

Marv

Must say it looks very tempting. They always look like they would be unstable with the car on that narrow platform, but I have no first hand experience with such a hoist. Other experiences would be good to hear. Cheers, Mike

I bought one of the chinese drive on lifts. Works great for what I need and when I don't need a lift, it allows me to double stack parking. It also came with a set of wheels so I can move it around if needed without taking it apart.

Attachments

• 29528.jpg
    29528.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 601
I certainly enjoy mine -- in addition to the maintenance work you mention you'll find it easier to wax the car when it is at eye level.

Jiffy%20Lube.JPG

If anyone is considering fitting one in tight space, note how I raised the tracks & drive unit to gain some clearance. The door doesn't seem to mind that the rtracks do not make a 90° bend anymore.

George- You need to change out that drive unit for the side winding style

Always one clean garage. Can you drive the 4 under it.

DNK said:
George- You need to change out that drive unit for the side winding style

I'm aware of those but the drive unit isn't the limiting factor -- when the windscreen is in place I pull the car a bit forward to clear the unit... the ceiling is then the limit though the height is just right for working.

Yes, the 4 fits under -- this time of year that is the usual arrangement so my wife can park inside.

Geo Hahn said:
I certainly enjoy mine -- in addition to the maintenance work you mention you'll find it easier to wax the car when it is at eye level.

Jiffy%20Lube.JPG

If anyone is considering fitting one in tight space, note how I raised the tracks & drive unit to gain some clearance. The door doesn't seem to mind that the rtracks do not make a 90° bend anymore.

George,

Can you provide a link to your 4-post lift? I live in a rented garden apartment with a one-car garage. I would like to be able to stack another small car or use it for temporary storage if I do a "body-off" restoration.

Thanks,

mgf

I wish I could have gotten a full lift but garage ceiling height made that choice impossible. I was left with either the MaxJax or the EX Car Lift. Costco offers the MaxJax for $2K delivered as does EZ Car Lift. I ended up with the EZ Car Lift mostly for its portability..........my 65 year old back doesn't like moving heavy stuff around anymore. I was pleasantly surprised at how much room 26" gives you...basically lying on a creeper with arms fully extended. It rolls around very easily and even I can lift one side to store it against a wall. Check it out here: https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/EZLift.htm

EZLift60.JPG

EZLift63.jpg

Mine is the Direct Lift Pro Park 9. Larger than is needed for the weight of the Triumphs, I wanted to be able to lift just about anything short of dual wheeled pickups. The second photo shows the rolling jacks. Thought choosing an ALI (Automotive Lift Institute) certified lift was a way to add peace of mind.

IMAG0271-1.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

Hopefully the Triumph garage is in the near future and a lift is definitely on the list so it's great seeing the different models you guys have installed. Does anyone have a 2-post model installed? For those of you that have 4-post models, do you work on suspension and brakes with jacks and jack stands?

Scott

Marvin Gruber said:
I bought one like that about 5 years ago. Won't do any work without it. For the TR3 you will want to build ramps for the sides to use to pull over it. Mine is a little wide for the TR3 track but otherwise love it. Thinking about buying another one. Makes brake work a whole lot easier.

Marv

The dimensions on the one I bought is just narrow enough for the TR3 track, But the height might be close, so ramps might be in order.

And Geo, I've already thought about how much easier polishing the cars would be by getting them raised up.

Art - This link shows a neat ramp design one man did using the lift you've chosen. www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67229

If you want/need to look at what some others have done (some are really involved and cool as can be), search the garage journal for both "scissors" and "mid-lifts". There are in ground recessed ones guaranteed to boggle your thoughts.

mgf said:
...Can you provide a link to your 4-post lift?

The one I have: Eagle Lift

HerronScott said:
...For those of you that have 4-post models, do you work on suspension and brakes with jacks and jack stands?

Exactly. Photo from 5 minutes ago, today's task: the annual Oiling of the Springs (also shock oil top-up and handbrake adjustment):

OilingSprings.jpg

Most lifts come with a jack tray -- wish I had ordered a second one at the time, may yet do it.

Geo Hahn said:
mgf said:
...Can you provide a link to your 4-post lift?

The one I have: Eagle Lift

HerronScott said:
...For those of you that have 4-post models, do you work on suspension and brakes with jacks and jack stands?

Exactly. Photo from 5 minutes ago, today's task: the annual Oiling of the Springs (also shock oil top-up and handbrake adjustment):

OilingSprings.jpg

Most lifts come with a jack tray -- wish I had ordered a second one at the time, may yet do it.

I've done a lot of research. Now I have to digest it. The input from knowledgeable, experienced people on this forum is valuable & very much appreciated.

Thanks George (& others).

mgf

Geo Hahn said:

Ah, that really helps. I had seen the term jack tray but wasn't sure how it worked.

Thanks!

Scott

3798j said:
Art - This link shows a neat ramp design one man did using the lift you've chosen. www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67229

If you want/need to look at what some others have done (some are really involved and cool as can be), search the garage journal for both "scissors" and "mid-lifts". There are in ground recessed ones guaranteed to boggle your thoughts.

Thanks for the link. The ramps that fella made for his lift is simple, easy to make, inexpensive and they look great. Just what the doctor ordered.

Looking at the four poster lifts, I can't tell you how many times I measured and remeasured my area in the garage, as it would have been great to be able to park my Miata in the garage along with the TR. But, the numbers just couldn't be made to work to I think what I wound up with should work out for me.